What is the optimal amount of wire to use for a circle to minimize its area?

• Thread starter Asphyxiated
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optimization
In summary, the conversation discusses the optimization of wire length when it is cut into two pieces, with one piece being bent into a square and the other into a circle. The first part of the conversation finds that the entire length of 12m should be used for the circle to maximize its area. The second part attempts to find the length of wire that should be used for the circle to minimize its area, but the correct answer of 5.28m is obtained after further calculation.
Asphyxiated

Homework Statement

A piece of wire 12 m long is cut into two pieces. One piece is bent into a square and the other is bent into a circle. (Give your answers correct to two decimal places.)

Part A) how much of the wire should be used for the circle to maximize the area? (Solved this part, it is 12, the entire length)

Part B) how much of the wire should be used for the circle to minimize the area? (unsolved, it is not the number i get below, it is also not 0 or 12).

Homework Equations

[tex] A_{square}=ab [/tex]

[tex] A_{circle} = \pi r^{2} [/tex]

[tex] r= \pi *circumference [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So cutting the wire of 12 m in length into two pieces, x and 12-x. The x side will be made into the square so that the square has sides x/4 and an area of (x/4)^2. This means the length of the wire 12-x will be the circumference of the circle. So if:

[tex] r = \pi C,\;\; C=12-x, \;\; then \;\; r= \pi (12-x)= 12 \pi - \pi x [/tex]

then substitute into area:

[tex] A_{circle}= \pi r^{2} = \pi (12 \pi - \pi x)^{2} [/tex]

so once you foil that out you get:

[tex] A_{circle} = 144 \pi^{3}-24 \pi^{3}x + \pi^{3}x^{2} [/tex]

but we want the total area which is:

[tex] A_{total}=A_{square}+A_{circle} [/tex]

[tex] A_{total}=\frac {x^{2}}{16} + 144 \pi^{3}-24 \pi^{3}x + \pi^{3}x^{2}[/tex]

now take the derivative to find the critical number(s):

[tex] A_{total}'= \frac{x}{8} -24 \pi^{3} + 2 \pi^{3} x [/tex]

solving that for x you get 11.97.

As I said about this number is not the answer to anything, as far as the program is concerned, so where did i go wrong? I have done this over a couple times so i don't think it is my math, perhaps i am just not fully understanding what it is that i need to do here.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Asphyxiated said:
[tex] r= \pi *circumference [/tex]

This should be [tex]C =2 \pi r[/tex]. This should change the critical point, namely the value of [tex]x[/tex] where [tex]A'=0[/tex]. You will need to check whether that's a max or min. The other extremum should be at one of the boundary points of the interval on which [tex]x[/tex] is defined, [tex]x\in [0,12][/tex].

ok using C=2 pi r

[tex] r = \frac {12-x}{2 \pi} [/tex]

so area:

[tex] A_{circle} = \pi (\frac{12-x}{2 \pi})^{2} = \pi (\frac {144-24x+x^{2}}{4 \pi^{2}}) = \frac {144-24x+x^{2}}{4 \pi} [/tex]

total area:

[tex] A_{total} = \frac {x^{2}}{16} + \frac {1}{4 \pi}(144-24x+x^{2}) [/tex]

take the derivative:

[tex] A_{total}'=\frac {x}{8} - \frac {24}{4 \pi}+ \frac {2x}{4 \pi} = \frac {x}{8} - \frac {6}{ \pi} + \frac {x}{2 \pi} [/tex]

set to zero and solve and you will get an answer of 1.126 or 1.13 which is not the answer either.

did i do something wrong again?

Asphyxiated said:
[tex] A_{total}'=\frac {x}{8} - \frac {24}{4 \pi}+ \frac {2x}{4 \pi} = \frac {x}{8} - \frac {6}{ \pi} + \frac {x}{2 \pi} [/tex]

set to zero and solve and you will get an answer of 1.126 or 1.13 which is not the answer either.

did i do something wrong again?
I'm getting x ≈ 6.72 here. Show what you did to solve
[tex]\frac {x}{8} - \frac {6}{ \pi} + \frac {x}{2 \pi} = 0[/tex]

I must have messed up with the calculator because i didnt want to simplify it anymore, so i redid it and got 6.72 but, alas, that is not the answer either.

Asphyxiated said:
I must have messed up with the calculator because i didnt want to simplify it anymore, so i redid it and got 6.72 but, alas, that is not the answer either.

It is one of the answers. You need to do more work to determine whether it is a maximum or minimum.

I already know that 12 is the correct answer for the maximum, and 0,12, 6.72 and 1.13 are not answers for the minimum. I have checked both endpoints as well as that critical number.

Asphyxiated said:
I already know that 12 is the correct answer for the maximum, and 0,12, 6.72 and 1.13 are not answers for the minimum. I have checked both endpoints as well as that critical number.

The length of the wire used to make the circle is 12-x.

bah, 12-6.72=5.28 is the correct answer, thanks!

1. What is an optimization problem?

An optimization problem is a mathematical or computational problem that involves finding the best solution or outcome among all possible solutions, given a set of constraints and objective criteria.

2. How do you approach solving an optimization problem?

The first step in solving an optimization problem is to clearly define the objective function and constraints. Then, various techniques such as gradient descent, linear programming, or genetic algorithms can be used to find the optimal solution.

3. What are some common applications of optimization problems?

Optimization problems have a wide range of applications in fields such as engineering, economics, finance, and computer science. Some examples include resource allocation, scheduling, production planning, and network optimization.

4. Can optimization problems have multiple optimal solutions?

Yes, it is possible for an optimization problem to have multiple optimal solutions. This can occur when the objective function has a plateau or when there are multiple feasible solutions that meet the constraints.

5. How do you know if you have found the global optimal solution?

In most cases, it is difficult to determine if the solution found is the global optimal solution. It is possible to use techniques such as sensitivity analysis or comparing results from different algorithms to get an indication of the optimality of the solution.