Minimization of a paper cup

In summary: I used a software package called Minitab to find the optimal value for h (actually the degrees of freedom, since there are two). The final answer turned out to be ##h=1.272## in.
tjc9

Homework Statement

company manufactures paper cups that are designed to hold 8 fluid ounces
each. The cups are in the shape of a frustum of a right circular cone (so the top and
bottom of the cup are circles, not necessarily of the same size, and the side profile is
that of a trapezoid). What are the dimensions for a paper cup that minimizes the
amount of material used?

Homework Equations

The volume of the cup would be pi/3(R^2+Rr+r^2)h
The surface area would be pi(r)^2+pi(R+r)sqrt((r-R)^2+h^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Know that I'd need to hold volume constant at V=8 fl. oz. or 14.4375 in.^3. Know I need to minimize the surface area of the cup. I solved for h in the volume equation then substituted that into the area equation. I don't know where to go from there because if you take the partial derivatives it becomes way too complicated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you should use the lagrange multiplier method, minimizing the function of the area using the constant volume function as a constraint. Are you familiar with such thing?

I know sort of how to but not with that function. Also, what constraint would the volume function create

Last edited:
tjc9 said:
I know sort of how to but not with that function.

The problem can range from almost-impossible to nasty but do-able, depending on how you represent it. Your representation is just about impossible with your choice of variables, although it can be solved easily enough using a numerical optimization package.

I found it much better to represent the frustrum as an actual difference between two cones of radii ##R## and ##r## and of heights ##H## and ##h.## We have ##R = H t## and ##r = h t##, where ##t## is the tangent of the half-angle at the apex of the cone. It is best to leave it as just ##t##, rather than as ##\tan( \theta/2).##

When I did all of that the Lagrange multiplier method became just barely practical.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of minimizing paper cups?

The purpose of minimizing paper cups is to reduce the amount of waste and resources used in their production and disposal. By minimizing the size and weight of paper cups, we can decrease the amount of materials needed and the environmental impact of their production.

2. How can paper cup minimization benefit the environment?

Minimizing paper cups can benefit the environment in several ways. It reduces the amount of trees and water used in their production, decreases the energy and emissions associated with manufacturing, and reduces the amount of waste in landfills. It also helps to preserve natural habitats and protect wildlife.

3. What strategies can be used to minimize paper cups?

There are several strategies that can be used to minimize paper cups. These include using thinner and lighter materials, reducing the size of the cup, promoting the use of reusable cups, and implementing recycling programs. Additionally, companies can offer incentives for customers who bring their own cups or offer discounts for using reusable cups.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to paper cup minimization?

One potential drawback of paper cup minimization is that it may increase costs for businesses and consumers. Using thinner and lighter materials may also result in weaker and less durable cups. Additionally, promoting the use of reusable cups may be challenging for some customers who are used to single-use cups.

5. How can we encourage the adoption of paper cup minimization?

To encourage the adoption of paper cup minimization, education and awareness campaigns can be implemented to inform people about the benefits of using fewer resources and reducing waste. Businesses can also lead by example by implementing sustainable practices and promoting the use of reusable cups. Government regulations and incentives can also play a role in promoting paper cup minimization.