Heat and temperature Please See THIS

In summary, the solution could remain liquid at a higher temperature due to the salt's effect on the vapor pressure of the water.
Diniz Noronha
Hi I am a student at Brazil and I have a question.

Is possible this phenomenon: A tube passes steam from a container of boiling water into a saturated aqueous salt solution. Can it be heated by the steam to a temperature greater than 100°C ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Only if you provide some means of superheating the steam, such as boiling the water under high pressure or passing the steam tube through a secondary heat source. You can't transfer more heat from a substance than it contains.
If you mean, can the solution remain liquid at greater than 100° C, I think that the water would just boil off and leave the salt behind. Someone better check me on that, though.

Last edited:
I agree. As I understand it, the liquid may well be at a temperature greater than 373K due to ions dissolved in solution but the steam can only ever be at 373K unless the stream itself is heated in a secondary process.

I just double-checked, and I was wrong about solutions. Since the salt lowers the vapour pressure of the water, saline has a boiling point above that of pure water. In that case, superheated steam could indeed raise its temperature higher than 100° C and still let it remain a liquid. You still can't raise the temperature of the initial steam higher than that just by boiling water, though.

Danger said:
I just double-checked, and I was wrong about solutions. Since the salt lowers the vapour pressure of the water, saline has a boiling point above that of pure water. In that case, superheated steam could indeed raise its temperature higher than 100° C and still let it remain a liquid. You still can't raise the temperature of the initial steam higher than that just by boiling water, though.

First two guesses don't count. Can you answer correctly with number three?

Okay, what did I miss this time? :redface:

Enthalpy of dilution.

In English, please. :tongue:
Remember, I never finished high-school.

Sol'n(pick your solute, solvent, and concentration; T) + Solvent(same; T) mixed to form Sol'n(same solute, same solvent, new concentration, less than original) PLUS enthalpy of dilution. Positive, negative, large, small. Not to be confused with enthalpy of solution

1. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat refers to the transfer of thermal energy from a warmer object to a cooler object. Temperature, on the other hand, is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance.

2. How is heat measured?

Heat is measured in units of energy, such as joules or calories. In the SI system, heat is measured in joules, while in the cgs system, it is measured in calories.

3. What factors affect the amount of heat an object can hold?

The amount of heat an object can hold depends on its mass, specific heat capacity, and temperature. Objects with a higher mass, specific heat, and temperature can hold more heat.

4. How does heat transfer occur?

Heat transfer can occur through three main methods: conduction, convection, and radiation. In conduction, heat is transferred through direct contact between two objects. In convection, heat is transferred through the movement of fluids. In radiation, heat is transferred through electromagnetic waves.

5. How does temperature affect matter?

Temperature affects the physical properties of matter, such as its density, volume, and state. As temperature increases, most substances expand, and their particles move faster, resulting in a change in state from solid to liquid to gas.