Connect Cat 5 STP Shield Wire to RJ45 Plug

In summary, connecting Cat 5 STP shield wire to RJ45 plug involves carefully stripping and untwisting the wire, arranging the wires according to the T568B color code, crimping the plug onto the wires, and finally using a cable tester to ensure proper functionality. This process is important for maintaining a stable and secure network connection.
j777
Hi,

What is the correct way to connect the bare shield wire of cat 5 STP to a shielded RJ45 plug?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Depends which of the two main wiring standards you are going to use. 568A is the Australian way and 568B is more so north american, but you get mixed results depending on the source. No standard is superior to another and either will work fine. With that said, you can find a diagram of how to wire either method here:

http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm

Personally I prefer to use 568B out of habit.

Thank you for the reply triden but I did not see anything on that site about the bare shield wire and the connection to shielded plugs...?

Sorry about that. As far as I know the shield doesn't make any real connection to the rj45 end. You will be fine as long as the sheild is up into the end of the plug when you crimp it to protect it from as much EMI as possible. I would double check but this is how I do it.

What is the purpose of connecting Cat 5 STP shield wire to an RJ45 plug?

The purpose of connecting Cat 5 STP shield wire to an RJ45 plug is to provide additional protection against electromagnetic interference (EMI) and radio frequency interference (RFI) in data transmission. The shield wire helps to prevent external signals from disrupting the data being transmitted through the Cat 5 cable.

Do I need to connect the shield wire to both ends of the Cat 5 cable?

Yes, it is recommended to connect the shield wire to both ends of the Cat 5 cable for optimal protection against EMI and RFI. This ensures that the shield wire creates a continuous shield around the cable and prevents any external interference from affecting the data transmission.

How do I connect the shield wire to the RJ45 plug?

To connect the shield wire to the RJ45 plug, you will need to strip a small portion of the outer jacket of the Cat 5 cable to expose the individual wires. Then, you will need to twist the exposed shield wire and wrap it around the outer sheath of the cable. Finally, you can insert the twisted shield wire into the metal shielding on the RJ45 plug and crimp it into place.

Is it necessary to use STP shield wire with Cat 5 cable?

No, it is not necessary to use STP shield wire with Cat 5 cable. Cat 5 cable is already designed to resist interference, so using STP shield wire is only recommended in environments where there is a high level of EMI and RFI. In most cases, using regular Cat 5 cable will suffice.

What are the benefits of using STP shield wire with Cat 5 cable?

The main benefit of using STP shield wire with Cat 5 cable is the added protection against EMI and RFI. This can result in a more reliable and stable data transmission, especially in environments with a lot of electronic equipment or other sources of interference. Additionally, using STP shield wire may also help to future-proof your network in case the level of interference increases in the future.