Projectile motion (ball thrown horizontally)

In summary, the ball is thrown horizontally from a height of 16.01m and hits the ground with a speed that is 5.0 times its initial speed. To find the initial speed, we can use the equation vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad and solve for vi. After breaking the initial velocity into its x and y components, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the initial velocity. Plugging in the given values, we get an initial speed of 3.55 m/s.
boomer77

Homework Statement

a ball is thrown horizontally from a height of 16.01m and hits the groung with a speed that is 5.0 times its initial speed. what was the initial speed?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

dx=?
vx=?
t=?

dy= -16.01m (because the ball is falling that distance)
viy= vi
vfy= 5vi
a= -9.8 m/s^2

vf^2= vi^2 + 2ad

(5vi)^2= vi^2+ 2(-9.8)(-16.01)

25 (vi^2)= vi^2+ 313.8

what should i do next if this is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the y direction, (Vy)i=0 because it was thrown horizontally. So it only had an initial horizontal component of velocity.

When it lands, it has both a horizontal and vertical component of velocity.

Now, with that in mind, can you see an equation that will let you find the final y-component of velocity?

Hint: you have dy, ay and (Vy)i.

i am following you so far

so my work will now look like

(5vi)^2=0^2+2(-9.8)(-16.01)
25(vi^2)=313.796
divided by 25
vi^2=12.55
vi=3.54

i plugged this into my problem set and it says it is wrong, so do wil i take this answer and put it into another equation? or is my math wrong?

boomer77 said:
vf^2= vi^2 + 2ad

(5vi)^2= vi^2+ 2(-9.8)(-16.01)

25 (vi^2)= vi^2+ 313.8

what should i do next if this is right?
Solve for vi, of course! Try first solving for vi^2, then taking the square root.

i did do that and my answer came up as 3.55 (rounded) but my problem set is still saying it's wrong. where is my error?

vf^2=vi^2+2(-9.8)(-16.01)
(5vi)^2=0+313.8
25(vi^2)=313.8
313.8/25= 12.6
vi^2=12.6
vi=3.55

this equation that you wrote

17.8^2+3.6^2=(5x3.6)^2

what is it? I'm pretty new to physics (i started taking physics a this trimester at my high school) could you explain how to solve it?

boomer77 said:
i did do that and my answer came up as 3.55 (rounded) but my problem set is still saying it's wrong. where is my error?

(5vi)^2=0+313.8
25(vi^2)=313.8
313.8/25= 12.6
vi^2=12.6
vi=3.55
Your solution in your first post was correct. That's the one I want you to finish.

but isn't that 3.55 my answer?

boomer77 said:
but isn't that 3.55 my answer?
No. You changed your equation, making it incorrect. Go back to your first post, or just see my first comment.

boomer77 said:

(5vi)^2=0+313.8
25(vi^2)=313.8
313.8/25= 12.6
vi^2=12.6
vi=3.55

You're so close :)

For questions like these you have to break everything into components, solve them, then put them all back together.

What I think you're doing wrong is breaking them into components, then using a mixture of components and other data within the wrong equation.

Here's a hint: Pythorgean Theorem

(I apologize for simply solving it before, hope this helps :))

so is this 3.55 one component?

As I've pointed out (several times), your initial solution was perfectly correct. (You might not realize that it was correct.) Why don't you finish it?

What allows you to combine perpendicular components is the fact that you are really combining their squares: V² = (Vx)² + (Vy)²

It would be if its magnitude was correct.

Think of it this way:

At the beginning, the ball's actual velocity has two components; an x valued velocity, and a y valued velocity.

At the end, the ball's actual velocity is composed of two parts just like in the beginning.

Think Pythagorean Theorem.

ohh i get it

my problem will be 3.55^2+x^2=5x^2!
then solve for x!

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object thrown or launched into the air, moving only under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, the angle at which the object is launched, the mass of the object, and the force of gravity.

3. How does the angle of launch affect projectile motion?

The angle of launch determines the shape of the parabola that the object will follow. A smaller angle will result in a shorter and wider parabola, while a larger angle will result in a taller and narrower parabola. The maximum distance traveled by the object will occur when it is launched at a 45 degree angle.

4. What is the formula for calculating the range of a projectile?

The formula for calculating the range (horizontal distance) of a projectile is R = v0 * t * cosθ, where v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time of flight, and θ is the angle of launch.

5. Can a projectile have different initial velocities and still reach the same height?

Yes, a projectile can have different initial velocities and still reach the same height. This is because the vertical component of velocity is independent of the horizontal component in projectile motion, meaning that the initial velocity does not affect the height of the object.