Basic QED Question: Are a & b Dirac Matrices?

• Thread starter snoopies622
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qed
In summary, the Eric Weissteins's World of Physics entry on "Quantum Electrodynamics" discusses one of the governing equations which involves the Dirac matrices, represented as a and b. These matrices are related to the dimensions of momentum and energy in the equation. The thread title has been changed from "basic QED question" to "Quantum Electrodynamics" and a typo has been noticed in the equation on the webpage.
snoopies622
In the Eric Weissteins's World of Physics entry on "Quantum Electrodynamics" he gives one of the governing equations as

[tex]

[ c \mathbf{a} ( -i \hbar \nabla - \frac {e}{c} \bf {A} ) + bmc^2 ] \psi = ( i \hbar \frac {\partial}{\partial t} - e \phi ) \psi

[/tex]

but doesn't define a or b. Are these the Dirac matrices, with a = { [itex] \alpha_1, \alpha_2, \alpha_3 [/itex] } and b = [itex] \alpha_4 [/itex]?

Thanks.

Edit: Oops - sorry about the title of this thread! I meant to call it something like, "basic QED question" but I was testing the LaTeX first and forgot to change it, and now that it's up I don't know how to!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, they are the [itex] \alpha [/itex] and the [itex] \beta [/itex] of Dirac.

snoopies622 said:
Edit: Oops - sorry about the title of this thread! I meant to call it something like, "basic QED question" but I was testing the LaTeX first and forgot to change it, and now that it's up I don't know how to!

Thread title has been changed.

Zz.

Thanks to you both.

I just noticed something. Is there a typo in that equation? I checked again and the way I entered it is exactly how it appears on the Weisstein page

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/QuantumElectrodynamics.html

but it looks like the dimensions of the second term on the left hand side - leaving out the wave function itself -

[tex]

c \mathbf {a} (- \frac {e}{c} \mathbf {A} ) = - \mathbf {a} e \mathbf {A}

[/tex]

are different from the others. It's momentum while the others are energy.

1. What are Dirac matrices?

Dirac matrices are square matrices that were introduced by physicist Paul Dirac to describe the behavior of spin-1/2 particles, such as electrons, in quantum mechanics. They have the form of a 4x4 matrix and are used to represent the spin states of particles.

2. What is the significance of Dirac matrices in quantum mechanics?

Dirac matrices are an essential part of quantum mechanics as they help to describe the behavior of spin-1/2 particles. They are used in many calculations and equations, including the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of relativistic particles.

3. How are Dirac matrices related to the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles, such as electrons. Dirac matrices are used in the Dirac equation to represent the spin states of particles and to solve for their wave functions.

4. Are a and b Dirac matrices independent of each other?

No, a and b are not independent of each other. In fact, they are related to each other through a set of algebraic equations known as the Clifford algebra. These equations determine the properties of the Dirac matrices and their relationship to each other.

5. How are Dirac matrices used in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, Dirac matrices are used to represent the creation and annihilation operators of particles. They are also used to construct the Lagrangian density, which is a mathematical framework used to describe the dynamics of quantum systems.