Csc theta=-17/15, cot beta=-3/4 find exact value HELP HELP HELP

• Thread starter aisha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, Daniel provides a summary of the content. He explains that theta is in quadrant 4, and beta is in quadrant 2. He drew a circle with a cartesian plane and made the two right angle triangles beta and theta. The beta angle's opposite=4, adjacent=-3, and hypotenuse=5 (using pythagorean theorem). The theta angle's opposite=15, adjacent= -17, and hypotenuse=square root of 514. He is not sure if he has done this correctly, and is stuck. He asks a classmate for help. The cosine of theta-beta is cos(theta-beta), and the cosine of beta-
aisha
Given [tex]\csc\theta = \frac {-17} {15} where \frac {3\pi} {2} < \theta <= 2\pi and \cot \beta = \frac {-3} {4} where \frac {\pi} {2} <= \beta <= \pi [/tex] Find the exact value of [tex] \cos (\theta-\beta)[/tex]

I think the theta angle is in quadrant 4, and the beta angle is in quadrant 2. I drew a circle with a cartesian plane and made the two right angle triangles beta and theta. The beta angle's opposite=4, adjacent=-3 and hypotenuse=5 (using pythagorean theorem) The theta angle's opposite= 15, adjacent = -17 and hypotenuse = square root of 514.

I'm not sure If I have done this correctly so far but this is all that I did and now I am stuck ... Please help! :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
cos(x-y)=cosx cosy + sinx siny
you made a mistake on theta..
find cosx and sinx for each angle first...
check the trig you did ...

I know the formula for sum and difference but I don't know if I am on the right track and what to do next??

find sin(theta), cos(theta), sin(beta) and cos(beta) first.
If you have adj, hyp and opp, this should be easy...
just want to remind you that you make a mistake finding hyp and adj of theta

She needn't know which is exactly 'adjacent' and which is "oppsite".For the first angle,that is.She got to know where those angles are (in what quadrant) and the fact that,by definition
[tex] \csc\theta=:\frac{1}{\sin\theta} [/tex](1)
Therefore,she has the sine for the first angle & she must find the cosine,knowing the angle is in the 4-th quadrant.
As for the second angle,she's already got both the sine and the cosine.

Daniel.

how is the hyp and adj of theta wrong? I just used the fraction given in the question just like I did with beta.

isnt csc = 1/sin?

aisha said:
how is the hyp and adj of theta wrong? I just used the fraction given in the question just like I did with beta.

For the first angle,it doesn't matter "which is which",u can solve the problem algebraically.
U know that
[tex] \sin^{2}\theta+\cos^{2}\theta =1[/tex]
and u know the 'sine'.Find the cosine

Daniel.

ok so [tex] \cos= \frac {8} {17}[/tex] Then what?

dex, you are so great...you are my idol...
back to the question, don't you think drawing the picture is more or less helping him/her "see" what actually sine,cos,sec,csc..etc is? expecially help him getting the sign right... ie. cos(theta) is positive when 2pi/3<theta<2pi...etc. if he does that algebraically, he must memorize the sign of sine and cos in each quadrant...
ain't we here to him them understand physic/maths?

after you get all sine and cos for each angle, apply
cos(x-y)=cosx cosy + sinx siny

pretty easy, right

You sound like memorizing "Ramayana"&"Mahabharata"... :tongue2: It's just a table of signs,for Christ's sake.
You got the sines and the cosines,now compute what the problem has asked u.

Daniel.

ok the formula is [tex] \cos (\theta-\beta)=\cos\theta \cos\beta + \sin\theta \sin \beta [/tex]

I know that [tex] \sin=\frac {15} {-17} and \cos= \frac {8} {17} [/tex]

but what do these two fractions mean? Where do i get beta and theta to input in the formula?

The teacher used more diagrams of circles and cartesian planes that's why I am a little lost bear with me please. :redface:

Last edited:
aisha said:
Given [tex]\csc\theta = \frac {-17} {15} where \frac {3\pi} {2} < \theta <= 2\pi and \cot \beta = \frac {-3} {4} where \frac {\pi} {2} <= \beta <= \pi [/tex] Find the exact value of [tex] \cos (\theta-\beta)[/tex]

I think the theta angle is in quadrant 4, and the beta angle is in quadrant 2. I drew a circle with a cartesian plane and made the two right angle triangles beta and theta. The beta angle's opposite=4, adjacent=-3 and hypotenuse=5 (using pythagorean theorem) The theta angle's opposite= 15, adjacent = -17 and hypotenuse = square root of 514.

I'm not sure If I have done this correctly so far but this is all that I did and now I am stuck ... Please help! :uhh:
Your problem: Find the cosine of the difference between theta and beta. In other words, if you start at the x-axis, draw a vector at an angle beta, then draw a vector at an angle of theta. What is the angle between the two vectors? (actually, in this case, you only need to find the cosine of that angle)

Note: I only mention the vectors because drawing them in sometimes helps to visualize just what it is that you're doing. (Also, depending how much more math you take, that cosine difference law is eventually going to turn into a dot product, a very important tool for vectors).

You use the cosine difference identity:

[tex]cos (\theta - \beta) = cos \theta cos \beta + sin \theta sin \beta [/tex]

To solve it, you need the cosine and sine of theta, and the cosine and sine of beta. One step at a time:

Theta

You know the csc of theta. You also know theta is in the fourth quadrant where sine is negative and cosine is positive.
It's [tex]csc \theta = \frac{-17} {15}[/tex].

The cosecant is just the reciprical of the sine. So the sine of theta is:

[tex]sin \theta = - \frac{15}{17} [/tex]

You then used the pythagorean theorem:

[tex]sin^2 \theta + cos^2 \theta = 1[/tex] and found that the cosine of theta was 8/17. That gives you two of the values you need to plug into the cosine difference equation.

beta
You were given the cotangent of beta and the fact that it was in the second quadrant. From that you found the adjacent side (-3), the opposite side (4), and the hypotenuse (5).

The cosine is the adjacent over hypotenuse; the sine is the opposite over hypotenuse.
[tex]cos \beta = - \frac{3}{5}[/tex]
[tex]sin \beta = \frac{4}{5}[/tex]

That gives you the other two values you need to plug into your equation.

The cosine of the difference
You have a fraction for the cosine of theta and a fraction for the cosine of beta. Multiply the two fractions.

You also have a fraction for the sine of theta and a fraction for the sine of beta. Multiply those two fractions.

Add the two products together. Both products are guaranteed to have the same denominator, so the addition part is pretty easy. Both numbers you're adding are negatives, so your final answer is negative, as well.

Last edited:
aisha said:

I think the theta angle is in quadrant 4, and the beta angle is in quadrant 2. I drew a circle with a cartesian plane and made the two right angle triangles beta and theta. The beta angle's opposite=4, adjacent=-3 and hypotenuse=5 (using pythagorean theorem)

So you get sin(beta)=4/5. cos(beta)=-3/5 here.

aisha said:
The theta angle's opposite= 15, adjacent = -17 and hypotenuse = square root of 514.

This part isn't right. sintheta=-15/17. Opposite is -15. Hypotenuse=17. Note that sin of an angle is opposite over hypotenuse. then, using pythagorean theorem, adjacent=8.

So you have sin(theta)=-15/17 and you get cos(theta)=8/17.

Plug them all into:
cos(theta-beta) = cos(theta)cos(beta) + sin(theta)sin(beta).

1. What do the values given for csc theta and cot beta represent?

The values of csc theta and cot beta represent the cosecant and cotangent functions, respectively, evaluated at the given angles.

2. How do I find the exact value of csc theta and cot beta with the given fractions?

To find the exact value, you can use the reciprocal identities of the trigonometric functions. For csc theta, the exact value is 1/sin theta. For cot beta, the exact value is 1/tan beta. Substituting the given fractions into these identities will give you the exact values.

3. Can I use a calculator to find the exact value of csc theta and cot beta?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the decimal approximation of the exact values. However, if you need the exact values for a specific problem or equation, it is best to use the reciprocal identities to find the exact values.

4. What are the steps to finding the exact value of csc theta and cot beta?

The steps to finding the exact values are: 1) Write out the reciprocal identities for csc and cot, 2) Substitute the given fractions for the angles in the identities, 3) Simplify the resulting fractions, and 4) Use the unit circle or reference angles to determine the exact values.

5. Can you provide an example of finding the exact value of csc theta and cot beta?

Sure, let's use the given values of csc theta = -17/15 and cot beta = -3/4. We can write the reciprocal identities as 1/sin theta = -17/15 and 1/tan beta = -3/4. From here, we can simplify the fractions to get sin theta = -15/17 and tan beta = -4/3. Using the unit circle or reference angles, we can determine that the exact values of theta and beta are in quadrant III and IV, respectively. Therefore, the exact values of csc theta and cot beta are 17/15 and -4/3, respectively.