Parametric Representation of a Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the parametric representation of a plane and how it can be written in the form of P0+s*(P1-P0)+t*(P2-P0). It is also mentioned that the parameters x and y can be used to represent z in the equation x + y + z = 5.
Alw

Homework Statement

Give a parametric representation of the plane x + y + z = 5.

Homework Equations

I am really not sure, I've been over the chapters we've covered for a little over an hour now, and the only mention i can find of a parametric representation of a plane is in passing once, merely stating that such a thing exists. All examples and explanations relate to

0 = a(x-x1) + b(x-x1) + c(z-z1)

where <a, b, c> is a vector normal to the plane, and (x1,y1,z1) is a point on the plane.

The Attempt at a Solution

well, I am going to assume that 0 = a(x-x1) + b(x-x1) + c(z-z1) is the standard form for planes, so I started by putting x + y + z = 5 in that form.

x + y + z = 5
x + y + z -5 = 0

i picked an arbitrary point on the plane, (2,2,1)

a(x-2) + b(y-2) + c(z-1) = 0, and therefore the coefficents must all be 1, giving me

(x-2) + (y-2) + (z-1) = 0, along with <1,1,1> being a vector normal to this plane.

i am really not sure where to go after this...
i know how to find the parametric representation of the intersection of two planes, but of the plane itself. . .

I am sorry i don't have much work to show for this, but I really have no idea where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you came up with is really the same on you started with, and it's not 'parametric'. Take your point P0=(2,2,1) on the plane and find two more points on the plane P1 and P2 such that P0,P1 and P2 don't all lie on the same line. Then you can write a parametric representation of the plane as P0+s*(P1-P0)+t*(P2-P0). Do you see why this lies on the plane for any s and t, and do you see why any point on the plane can be written in this form?

A plane is two dimensional. "Parametric equation" for a two-dimensional figure must be of the form x= f(u,v), y= g(u,v), z= h(u,v).

Since you are told that " the plane x + y + z = 5", and so z= 5- x-y, there is nothing at all wrong with taking x and y themselves as parameters.

HallsofIvy said:
A plane is two dimensional. "Parametric equation" for a two-dimensional figure must be of the form x= f(u,v), y= g(u,v), z= h(u,v).

Since you are told that " the plane x + y + z = 5", and so z= 5- x-y, there is nothing at all wrong with taking x and y themselves as parameters.

Good point. Much simpler.

Dick said:
The equation you came up with is really the same on you started with, and it's not 'parametric'. Take your point P0=(2,2,1) on the plane and find two more points on the plane P1 and P2 such that P0,P1 and P2 don't all lie on the same line. Then you can write a parametric representation of the plane as P0+s*(P1-P0)+t*(P2-P0). Do you see why this lies on the plane for any s and t, and do you see why any point on the plane can be written in this form?

ok, i understand how you can use those 3 points to define the plane since they arent in the same line, and i think i understand why s and t can be any value. Regardless of what value they have, they are are just a coefficient on the (position vector?) kind of like how with the equation y = x, (1,1) is on that line, along with a*(1,1), where a is any number. Any point on the plane can be used becuase, any point on the plane is still in the plane :P.

HallsofIvy said:

i'm not sure i fully understand. are you saying that i can use x and y as parameters for z, x and z as parameters for y, y and z for parameters for x? how would i continue on with the problem, or can i answer it by saying

z = 5 - x - y
x = 5 - y - z
y = 5 - x - z

? I don't think I fully understand what you are sayingThank you very much for the help :)

Last edited:
I'm glad you get the vectorial way of thinking about it. Hall's is thinking about it algebraically. x(s,t)=s, y(s,t)=t, then z(s,t)=5-s-t is on the plane. It's the same as the other approach if P0=(0,0,5), P1=(1,0,4) and P2=(0,1,4).

Alw said:
ok, i understand how you can use those 3 points to define the plane since they arent in the same line, and i think i understand why s and t can be any value. Regardless of what value they have, they are are just a coefficient on the (position vector?) kind of like how with the equation y = x, (1,1) is on that line, along with a*(1,1), where a is any number. Any point on the plane can be used becuase, any point on the plane is still in the plane :P.

i'm not sure i fully understand. are you saying that i can use x and y as parameters for z, x and z as parameters for y, y and z for parameters for x? how would i continue on with the problem, or can i answer it by saying

z = 5 - x - y
x = 5 - y - z
y = 5 - x - z

? I don't think I fully understand what you are saying

Thank you very much for the help :)
No, I meant:
x= u
y= v
z= 5- u- v.

1. What is a parametric representation of a plane?

A parametric representation of a plane is a mathematical equation that defines the coordinates of points on a plane using one or more parameters. It allows for a more flexible and efficient way of representing a plane compared to the traditional Cartesian coordinates.

2. How is a parametric representation of a plane different from a Cartesian representation?

In a Cartesian representation, the coordinates of a point on a plane are defined using the x, y, and z axes. However, in a parametric representation, the coordinates are defined using parameters that can take on any value, allowing for a more versatile and customizable representation.

3. What are the advantages of using a parametric representation of a plane?

One advantage is that it allows for a more concise and efficient way of representing a plane. It also allows for easier manipulation and transformation of the plane, as the parameters can be changed to alter the position and orientation of the plane. Additionally, it can be used to represent more complex shapes and surfaces.

4. How do you convert a Cartesian representation of a plane into a parametric representation?

To convert a Cartesian representation into a parametric representation, you can use the equation P = P0 + sV + tW, where P0 is a fixed point on the plane, V and W are vectors parallel to the plane, and s and t are parameters. This equation can be derived from the general equation of a plane, Ax + By + Cz + D = 0.

5. Can a parametric representation of a plane be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, a parametric representation of a plane can be used in a variety of applications, such as computer graphics, engineering, and physics. It can be used to model and solve real-world problems involving surfaces, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile or designing a curved structure.