Why is my simulated inverting amplifier output not matching the expected result?

• Thread starter hemant03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amplifier
In summary, the conversation is about simulating an inverting amplifier in LTSpice and the results not matching expectations. The correct formula for the output is discussed and it is mentioned that the simulation is giving the correct answer based on the given conditions. Suggestions are made to check the connection of the negative power supply and the reference for the non-inverting input.
hemant03
Hi,
I was trying to simulate a simple inverting amplifier in LTSpice. However, the results that I get don't agree with what I am supposed to get.
Please look at the PDF attached.
Based on the current law, it is easy to tell that Vout = -Vin. But I am seeing Vout = app. 0V.
Am I missing something. Please help

Attachments

• Simulation Question.pdf
    15.6 KB · Views: 255
Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you connected your negative power supply to 0V or -5V?
You won't get lower volts out than your negative rail.

The non-inverting input should be connected to V3/2 or 2.5 V. That way when V1 is at +5 V the output will be at 0 V and when V1 is at 0 V, the output will be at 5 V. And of course when V1 is at 2.5 V, the output will be at 2.5 V.

There seems to be a common misconception that the Vo = Av * (i(+) - i(-)). If that were true when V1 is equal to 2.5 V you would see 0 V at the output instead of 2.5 V. The correct formula is Vo = V(+) + Av * (V(+) - V(-)).

The simulation is giving you the correct answer for the conditions you've given it. You just need to decide whether you want +&- power rails and to use 0V as your reference or to use +5 and 0, in which case, your reference (non-inverting input) should be connected to 2.5V

1. What is an inverting amplifier?

An inverting amplifier is a type of electronic circuit that amplifies an input signal while inverting its polarity. This means that the output signal will have the opposite polarity of the input signal.

2. How does an inverting amplifier work?

An inverting amplifier uses an operational amplifier (op-amp) to amplify the input signal. The input signal is connected to the inverting input of the op-amp, while the non-inverting input is connected to a reference voltage. The output of the op-amp is then fed back to the inverting input through a feedback resistor. This creates a closed-loop system that amplifies and inverts the input signal.

3. What are the advantages of using an inverting amplifier?

There are several advantages to using an inverting amplifier. First, it has a high input impedance, which means it will not draw much current from the input signal. Second, it has a low output impedance, which allows it to drive larger loads without significant loss of signal. Additionally, it has a predictable and linear response, making it useful for amplifying signals without distortion.

4. What are some common applications of inverting amplifiers?

Inverting amplifiers are commonly used in audio equipment, such as amplifiers and mixers. They are also used in signal processing circuits, such as filters and oscillators, and in instrumentation and measurement systems. Inverting amplifiers are also used in feedback control systems, such as in motor speed control or temperature regulation.

5. How do I calculate the gain of an inverting amplifier?

The gain of an inverting amplifier is determined by the ratio of the feedback resistor to the input resistor. It can be calculated using the formula: Gain = - (Rf / Rin). For example, if the feedback resistor is 10kΩ and the input resistor is 1kΩ, the gain would be -10. This means that the output signal will be 10 times the magnitude of the input signal, but with the opposite polarity.