Energy carried by an EM wave

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the energy carried by an electromagnetic wave and the use of the formula E=hf. It is suggested to use the formula for energy density and integrate over one period to get the average energy. However, this may not work for a photon in this scenario. The conversation also mentions the complications of finding the kinetic energy of an electron scattered by the wave and suggests decomposing the wave into a superposition of monochromatic waves.
freemind
Hiya,

Given that the electric field vector of an EM wave is described as:
[tex] E=E_0[1+\cos(\Omega t)]\cos(\omega t) [/tex]
How would one go about finding the energy carried by this wave? On another note, what's the actual frequency of the wave that can be used in [tex] E=hf [/tex]? Graphed in a CAS, this wave actually looks like that of circularly polarised radiation ("packets" are discernible).

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the formula for the energy density for a plane wave [itex]u = \epsilon_0 E^2 [/tex]. This is energy per unit volume, which can be multiplied by c to get the power per unit area, or intensity. You can get the average of this by integrating over one period, assuming the ratio of the frequencies is rational, and divding by the period. The E=hf formula only works for a photon with a well defined wavelength, and can't be applied here.

Last edited:
Thanks a ton for the reply StatusX!

Unfortunately, your suggestion only makes things more complicated for me. The original point of finding the energy carried by the wave was to find the kinetic energy of an electron scattered by this wave, with a work function W (I did not mention this earlier). Hence, I need simply energy, not power per unit area. With the latter, I'm forced to introduce arbitrary constants to get rid of little barriers like the "unit area" part of things. Constants which I cannot justify. Even with power, I must integrate over some arbitrary time to find the total energy transmitted to the electron, even though the question assumes that the collision is instantaneous. So I'm stuck.

Well, you could decompose this into a superposition of monochromatic waves. Use the identity cos(a)cos(b) = (cos(a+b) + cos(a-b))/2. Then I'm pretty sure this means there will be a mix of photons of three different energies, in a proportion found by the coefficients of the corresponding cos term.

What is the definition of "energy carried by an EM wave"?

The energy carried by an electromagnetic (EM) wave is the amount of energy that is transmitted through space as the wave travels. This energy is a combination of electric and magnetic fields that oscillate perpendicular to each other and to the direction of the wave's propagation.

How is the energy of an EM wave calculated?

The energy of an EM wave is calculated using the formula E=hf, where E is the energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency of the wave. This formula is derived from the relationship between wavelength and frequency (c=λf) and the fact that the energy of an EM wave is directly proportional to its frequency.

What is the relationship between energy and frequency of an EM wave?

The energy of an EM wave is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, so does the energy of the wave. This relationship is represented by the formula E=hf, where h is a constant known as Planck's constant.

Can the energy of an EM wave be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, the energy of an EM wave can be converted into other forms of energy. For example, when an EM wave interacts with matter, it can transfer its energy to the particles of the matter, causing them to vibrate and generate heat. This is the principle behind technologies such as microwave ovens and radiotherapy in medicine.

What factors affect the amount of energy carried by an EM wave?

The amount of energy carried by an EM wave is affected by its frequency, which is determined by the source of the wave. The amplitude of the wave also plays a role, as a higher amplitude means a higher energy wave. Additionally, the medium through which the wave travels can affect its energy, as different materials can absorb or reflect different amounts of energy from the wave.