Volume of a sphere with a hole through it

In summary, the conversation revolves around the problem of calculating the volume of a sphere with a hole in it. The suggested approach is to find the volume of the "polar caps" formed by cutting off the north and south poles, and subtracting it from the volume of the starting sphere. Integrating is suggested as a method to find the volume of the polar caps. There is also a mention of using shells or washers as alternative methods for solving the problem.
Swatch
I have to calculate the volume of a sphere of radius 2 that has a hole with radius 1 through the sphere and that includes the center of the sphere. I am trying to solve this by putting semi disk with length 4 units and 1 unit from the base to the top, and then revolving this disk around the line y=1. Then I will get a sphere of radius 2 with a hole through it with radius 1. I don't know if this is a good approach but I have a problem with the equation of the semi circle. I don´t know how to equate this semicircle, since y=sqrt(a^2-x^2) is not working. Could someone please give me a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would try to find the volume of the "polar caps" that you effectively cut off say at the north and south poles to form your cylindrical hole. Then subtract that and the volume of the fully enclosed cylinder from the volume of the starting sphere to get the volume of what remains.

I'm assuming you haven't completed this question yet...
Correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.berrys.plus.com/hh2.gif
I agree with Tide - as you know the volumes for the other shapes. Consider this diagram and integrate to find the "polar caps". Unfortunately your idea of integrating round y=1 would not work but your way of thinking is good! :wink:
Now I've drawn the diagram (which I believe every physics/maths solution should have where applicable), let me know how you get on...

Regards,
Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to me that 'shells' or 'washers' would also be a good way to do this problem, since the holy sphere is a solid of rotation.

BerryBoy said:
I'm assuming you haven't completed this question yet...
Correct me if I'm wrong.
http://www.berrys.plus.com/hh2.gif
I agree with Tide - as you know the volumes for the other shapes. Consider this diagram and integrate to find the "polar caps". Unfortunately your idea of integrating round y=1 would not work but your way of thinking is good! :wink:
Now I've drawn the diagram (which I believe every physics/maths solution should have where applicable), let me know how you get on...
Regards,
Sam

Well I had forgotten all about this problem. I had already figured out the hight of the polar caps. But I have a problem with integrating the caps to find their volumes, could you please give me a hint on that? Berry Boy.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a sphere with a hole through it?

The formula for finding the volume of a sphere with a hole through it, also known as a spherical shell, is V = (4/3)π(r13 - r23), where r1 is the radius of the outer sphere and r2 is the radius of the inner sphere.

2. How do you determine the radius of the inner sphere in a spherical shell?

To determine the radius of the inner sphere in a spherical shell, you can measure it directly if the sphere is physical. If you are given the volume of the shell and the radius of the outer sphere, you can use the formula r2 = ∛(3V/4π + r13) to calculate the radius of the inner sphere.

3. Why is the volume of a sphere with a hole through it different from a regular sphere?

The volume of a sphere with a hole through it is different from a regular sphere because it is essentially the volume of two spheres subtracted from each other. The hole in the middle decreases the overall volume of the sphere, resulting in a smaller volume than a regular sphere with the same outer radius.

4. Can the volume of a spherical shell be negative?

No, the volume of a spherical shell cannot be negative. The volume of a sphere with a hole through it is always a positive value because it represents the amount of space enclosed by the outer sphere minus the amount of space taken up by the inner sphere.

5. How is the volume of a spherical shell used in real life?

The volume of a spherical shell has many real-life applications, such as in the calculation of the volume of a planet or a star, or in the design of hollow objects like balls and bubbles. It can also be used in engineering and architecture for determining the volume of spherical structures with hollow spaces, such as domes and arches.