Derive the Volume of a Sphere using Calculus

In summary, using calculus, the volume of a sphere can be derived by integrating the formula for the surface area of a sphere with respect to the radius. This results in the formula V = 4/3 * π * r^3, where V is the volume and r is the radius. This method relies on the concept of infinitesimal slices, where the sphere is divided into infinitely small sections and their volumes are added together. By applying the fundamental theorem of calculus, the integral can be evaluated to find the exact volume of the sphere. This approach is a powerful tool for finding the volume of complex shapes and can be extended to higher dimensions as well.
Shivam

Homework Statement

Derive the volume of sphere using Calculus. i saw videos on this topic on youtube, but i want to do it by the method of integrating a circle at angle θ (Theta) . i am posting a photo where i explained every thing i did but i couldn't know what i am doing wrong.

Homework Equations

Integrating a circle of radius r at angle θ (Theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Va32w9eCJE_2nH4VIPqG8bFHRzcKuvIF[/B]
IMG_20180823_000643.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180823_000643.jpg
    IMG_20180823_000643.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 461
Physics news on Phys.org
Shivam said:
i am posting a photo where i explained every thing i did but i couldn't know what i am doing wrong.
No you did not. You posted a link to your google drive, which other people do not have access to.

Also, you should make the effort of typing out your attempt if you want people to help you.

Your error is using ##ds## for the thickness of your disk. It should be ##dy=R\cos\theta d\theta##.

Likes Shivam
Shivam said:

Homework Statement

Derive the volume of sphere using Calculus. i saw videos on this topic on youtube, but i want to do it by the method of integrating a circle at angle θ (Theta) . i am posting a photo where i explained every thing i did but i couldn't know what i am doing wrong.

Homework Equations

I can see your attempted solution. The problem is with ##ds=Rd\theta##. That is arc length along the surface of the sphere. It is not the same as the thickness of your circular section. Can you correct it?

Shivam said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

LCKurtz said:
Your error is using ##ds## for the thickness of your disk. It should be ##dy=R\cos\theta d\theta##.
I got the correct answer by using the correcct thickness you gave me , but i still don't know how did you get that, can you explain please.

Shivam said:
I got the correct answer by using the correcct thickness you gave me , but i still don't know how did you get that, can you explain please.

The thickness is the vertical thickness of the slice. The arc length you have is not vertical, it's tangent to the sphere. So it makes a varying angle with the vertical as you move up the sphere. Use trig to turn that into a vertical distance.

Likes Shivam
LCKurtz said:

Can you show me how did you get that, i thought all day but i can't get it.

Shivam said:
Can you show me how did you get that, i thought all day but i can't get it.
Well, you have ##y=R \sin(\theta)##, so ##\frac{dy}{d\theta}=R \cos(\theta)##, so rearranging the differentials gives ##dy=R \cos(\theta)d\theta##. Also, try to understand this result from a geometrical point of view (i.e. how does a small increase in the angle influece the increase in y?)

Likes Shivam

What is the formula for calculating the volume of a sphere?

The formula for calculating the volume of a sphere is V = (4/3)πr³, where V is the volume and r is the radius of the sphere.

How do you derive the volume of a sphere using calculus?

To derive the volume of a sphere using calculus, we use the method of cylindrical shells. This involves taking thin slices of the sphere and integrating them to find the volume. The integral will involve π and the radius of the sphere, and after solving the integral, we will get the formula V = (4/3)πr³ for the volume of a sphere.

What is the importance of understanding the calculus behind finding the volume of a sphere?

Understanding the calculus behind finding the volume of a sphere is important because it allows us to generalize the formula for finding the volume of any shape. By understanding the concept of integration and using it to derive the volume of a sphere, we can apply the same method to find the volume of any other 3-dimensional shape.

Can the volume of a sphere be calculated without using calculus?

Yes, the volume of a sphere can be calculated without using calculus. This can be done by using the formula V = (4/3)πr³, which is derived using calculus. Alternatively, the volume of a sphere can also be calculated by using the formula V = (4/3)πd³/6, where d is the diameter of the sphere.

What are some real-life applications of calculating the volume of a sphere using calculus?

The volume of a sphere is an important calculation used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and architecture. For example, in physics, the volume of a sphere is used to calculate the density of an object. In engineering, it is used to determine the volume of liquid or gas that can be contained in a spherical tank. In architecture, the volume of a sphere is used to calculate the amount of material needed to construct a dome or spherical structure.