Simplifying Integration: Strategies and Tips for Tricky Expressions

• Thread starter catalyst55
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation was about integrating a complex expression involving e^x and a substitution of u=e^x-1. The conversation then discussed simplifying the expression [ u^(5/2)+2u^(3/2)+u^(1/2) ] [ 1/(u+1) ] and suggested using the substitution u=\sqrt{e^x-1}. The conversation concluded with a request for resources on different types of antidifferentiation.
catalyst55
hey,

im trying to integrate the following:

e^(2x)sqrt(e^x - 1)

if only it were e^x at the front - it'd be so much easier!

anyway, letting u=e^x-1 and doing everything i eventually get the following (and this is where i get stuck):

[ u^(5/2)+2u^(3/2)+u^(1/2) ] [ 1/(u+1) ] du

this is correct because, according to the computer, it simplifies to u^(3/2) + u^(1/2), which then gives the right answer.

so my question, really, is: how do we simplify [ u^(5/2)+2u^(3/2)+u^(1/2) ] [ 1/(u+1) ] ??

or am i approaching this the wrong way (which i suspect because it's a multiple choice question)??

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a nice substitution...

after which I end up with:

[tex]\int e^{2x}\sqrt{u}\frac{du}{e^x}=\int e^{x}\sqrt{u} du=\int (u+1)\sqrt{u} du[/tex]

which is what your computer says.

(for your simplification: take a factor of [tex]u^{1/2}[/tex] out and factorise...)

Last edited:
[tex] (\sqrt u)^5 + (\sqrt u)^3 + \sqrt u= \sqrt u \left(u^2 + 2u + 1)\right[/tex]

catalyst55 said:
hey,

im trying to integrate the following:

e^(2x)sqrt(e^x - 1)

if only it were e^x at the front - it'd be so much easier!

anyway, letting u=e^x-1 and doing everything i eventually get the following (and this is where i get stuck):

[ u^(5/2)+2u^(3/2)+u^(1/2) ] [ 1/(u+1) ] du

this is correct because, according to the computer, it simplifies to u^(3/2) + u^(1/2), which then gives the right answer.

so my question, really, is: how do we simplify [ u^(5/2)+2u^(3/2)+u^(1/2) ] [ 1/(u+1) ] ??

[itex] (u^{5/2} + 2 u^{3/2} + u^{1/2}) = u^{1/2} ( u^2+ 2 u + 1) = u^{1/2} (u+1)^2 [/itex]. That's all there was to it!

Patrick

As that's sort of a lucky break peculiar to this example, a better substitution for this general type of problem might be [itex]u=\sqrt{e^x-1}[/itex]. Then [itex]e^x=u^2+1[/itex] and [itex]e^x dx = 2u du [/itex].

oh, thanks a lot guys.

it's so much quicker and easier if i just cancel (u+1)^2 and 1/(u+1), leaving just (u+1) instead of expanding and then trying to simplify...

seems like i approached this q in the most inefficient of ways -- i even had x= ln (u+1) lol... i had like e^[ln(u+1)] = u+1... don't know what i was thinking...

oh, by the way, do any of you guys know where i could find a good summary of all of the different types of antidifferation (ie like a compendium with an example of every particular type of question or someting)?

cheers

You'll usually find "antidifferentiation" :tongue: in the front of most calculus books - inside covers.

Or Abramowitz and Stegun: Handbook of Mathematical Functions is the Giant Haystacks of the formulae world.

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to solve problems involving rates of change, such as finding the total distance traveled by an object or the total amount of change in a system.

2. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integration?

Definite integration involves finding the area under a curve between two specific points, while indefinite integration involves finding the general antiderivative of a function.

3. How do you solve a simple integration problem?

To solve a simple integration problem, you first need to identify the function and determine if it is continuous. Then, use integration rules to rewrite the function and solve for the antiderivative. Finally, evaluate the antiderivative at the given limits to find the area under the curve.

4. What are some common integration rules?

Some common integration rules include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules help to simplify and solve more complex integration problems.

5. Can integration be used in real-life situations?

Yes, integration is used in a variety of real-life situations, such as calculating the area under a demand curve in economics, determining the velocity of an object in physics, and finding the volume of a curved shape in engineering.