Interpreting an Answer to Graph Structure Function

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a structure function for a graph. The answer involves a function with x_1 as an input and the maximum value of x_2, x_3, and x_4 as its output. The function assumes that x_5 is a constant and that all inputs must be connected for the circuit to output a voltage.
slakedlime

Homework Statement

This isn't a homework question. I'm working through my book's exercises and am having difficulty interpreting an answer. Any guidance will be very much appreciated.

The problem is to come up with a structure function for a graph (image attached with this post). The answer is [itex]\phi(x) = x_1 max (x_2, x_3, x_4) x_5[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution
Two types of unbroken circuit are possible:

i) There is a connection from [itex]x_1[/itex] to [itex]x_4[/itex] (e.g. [itex]x_1 → x_2 → x_4[/itex] OR [itex]x_1 → x_3 → x_2 → x_4[/itex])
ii) The triangle [itex]x_1,x_2, x_3[/itex] is connected even if [itex]x_4[/itex] is broken. Hence, current can loop from [itex]x_1 → x_2 → x_3[/itex] or from [itex]x_1 → x_3 → x2.[/itex]

In the diagram, I can see four nodes [itex]x_1,x_2, x_3, x_4[/itex]. Where does [itex]x_5[/itex] come from?

The following part of the answer also confuses me:
[itex]max (x_2, x_3, x_4)[/itex]

Why is this the case? I can't see how the circuit would function if [itex]x_2[/itex] and [itex]x_3[/itex] were both broken. Current simply could not flow from [itex]x_1[/itex] to [itex]x_4[/itex] unless component 2 or 3 were also working.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-10-06 at 08.11.57.png
    Screen shot 2012-10-06 at 08.11.57.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 391
Physics news on Phys.org
Homework EquationsThis isn't a homework question. The attempt at a solutionTwo types of unbroken circuit are possible:i) There is a connection from x_1 to x_4 (e.g. x_1 → x_2 → x_4 OR x_1 → x_3 → x_2 → x_4)ii) The triangle x_1,x_2, x_3 is connected even if x_4 is broken. Hence, current can loop from x_1 → x_2 → x_3 or from x_1 → x_3 → x2.In the diagram, I can see four nodes x_1,x_2, x_3, x_4. Where does x_5 come from?The answer is likely that x_5 is assumed to be a constant, so that the output of the circuit is a function of the inputs x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4 and x_5. The following part of the answer also confuses me:max (x_2, x_3, x_4)This is likely because the function outputs the maximum value of x_2, x_3, and x_4. This makes sense as the circuit will only output a voltage if all the inputs are connected (i.e. x_2, x_3, and x_4 are all connected to x_1). Therefore, the output of the circuit will be the maximum value of the inputs (x_2, x_3, and x_4).

1. What is the purpose of interpreting an answer to graph structure function?

Interpreting an answer to graph structure function allows us to understand the relationship between the independent and dependent variables in a graph, and how changes in one variable affect the other. This helps us to make predictions and draw conclusions based on the data presented in the graph.

2. What are the key components of interpreting an answer to graph structure function?

The key components of interpreting an answer to graph structure function include identifying the independent and dependent variables, analyzing the shape and slope of the graph, and considering any relevant trends or patterns.

3. How can I determine the independent and dependent variables in a graph?

The independent variable is usually plotted on the x-axis, while the dependent variable is plotted on the y-axis. If the graph has a labeled axis, the variable on that axis is typically the dependent variable. If there is no labeled axis, the variable that changes in response to the other is the dependent variable.

4. How do I analyze the shape and slope of a graph?

The shape of a graph can tell us about the relationship between the variables. A positive slope indicates a direct relationship, while a negative slope indicates an inverse relationship. A horizontal line indicates no relationship between the variables. The steepness of the slope can also provide information about the strength of the relationship.

5. Why is it important to consider trends and patterns when interpreting an answer to graph structure function?

Trends and patterns in a graph can provide additional information and insights about the relationship between the variables. They can also help to support or refute hypotheses and provide evidence for conclusions drawn from the data.