Wiring 100 LEDs - Advice Needed

In summary: Oh ya...that would explain why they don't use much power and they last so long.Yet...we need to use a power burning resistor in series to "limit" the...something...In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving 100 LED's that need to be wired up. The question of whether to wire them in series or parallel is raised, and it is determined that parallel is the best option. The power source is a 9V alkaline battery and it is determined that a resistor is needed to limit the current. The purpose of the project is to create a LED sign connected to a PIR sensor. Various arrangements of the LEDs and resistors are suggested, with the best option being to use two LEDs
SummersLCFC
Hi I am making a project in my spare time and i am getting quite confused with the whole situation.

I have 100 LED's that need to be wired up, my first question is what is best to wire them up in, series or parallel?

My power source is a 9V alkaline battery and i need to know if a resistor/or several resistors are needed and what size is needed if neccesary?

Ive read several sites across the web and still can't get my head around the situation.

Can someone help me on this situation please.

Tom

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi SummersLCFC! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif
Are the LEDs all of identical type? What is the forward voltage of each LED? What LED current do you need for the desired brightness? How many minutes would you like to run them from a single 9v alkaline? What is your purpose of using these LEDs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi yes all the LED's are identical type

The forward voltage of each is 3 - 3.4 V

LED Current is 20 mA

Im not to fussed about the time that they are running for and my purpose for them is to create a sign.

My project is a LED sign that is connected up to a PIR sensor that when the sensor detects movement the LED's will light up and display my sign

As a test, you could connect a pair of those in series with a 150Ω 1 watt resistor and confirm that you are happy with that current & brightness. But it is not the most efficient arrangement, and to make matters worse, the more LEDs you connect to that battery, the less voltage it will deliver. A LED driver module would be better, but you'll need too many if each drives only 2 LEDs. Could you go to using 5 or 6 of those 9V batteries?

EDIT: fixed resistor value

Last edited:
SummersLCFC said:
Hi yes all the LED's are identical type

The forward voltage of each is 3 - 3.4 V

LED Current is 20 mA

Im not to fussed about the time that they are running for and my purpose for them is to create a sign.

My project is a LED sign that is connected up to a PIR sensor that when the sensor detects movement the LED's will light up and display my sign

You definietly want to wire them in parralel...series will not work!

Since you have 9 volts available...and you only want 3 volts...you need to add a resistor in series with each LED to drop 6 volts. Since each LED has a current of 20ma...and we know V=IR...

6=.02*R

Solve for R and you get 300 ohms. This will have 6 volts across the resitor then...

Since your LED is 3 volts at .02 Amp...it obviously has a resistance of 150 ohms. Add this to your 300 ohm resistor...

9=450*I

I equals 20 ma. Should work.

Or you could put all LED's in parralel and figure their equivalent resistance. Then put one resistor in series with your voltage source and drop the voltage that way. This way should work and sounds simpler and cheaper.

You could put two LEDs in series with a 120 ohm 0.5 watt resistor.

If the LEDs are at full brightness at 3.4 volts and then draw 20 mA, then there will be 6.8 volts across the two LEDs and 2.2 volts across the resistor.

2.2 volts / 120 ohms = 18.3 mA

Try this with one resistor and two LEDs before you wire up any more.

So, you would need 50 of these series arrangements, in parallel, and they would draw nearly 1 amp.

This is too much for a 9 volt battery, but you could use a small power supply to supply 1 amp.

Last edited:
vk6kro said:

If the LEDs are at full brightness at 3.4 volts and then draw 20 mA, then there will be 6.8 volts across the two LEDs and 2.2 volts across the resistor.

2.2 volts / 120 ohms = 18.3 mA

Try this with one resistor and two LEDs before you wire up any more.

So, you would need 50 of these series arrangements, in parallel, and they would draw nearly 1 amp.

This is too much for a 9 volt battery, but you could use a small power supply to supply 1 amp.

Which leads us to one obvious question. Why not just put 3 LED's in series...all in paralell.

3 volts drops across each one...have a nice day.

vk6kro said:
120 ohms. Arggh!
47Bek.gif
I'll go back and fix my mistake.

psparky said:
Which leads us to one obvious question. Why not just put 3 LED's in series...all in paralell.

3 volts drops across each one...have a nice day.

You have to have some resistance to limit the current.

So, having only 2 LEDs per series string allows some voltage across the resistor.

You also can't put all the LEDs in parallel since this would result in some of them burning brightly but others not lighting at all. This is because all LEDs are not created equal and the voltages tend to vary a bit in a sample of LEDs.

vk6kro said:
You have to have some resistance to limit the current.

So, having only 2 LEDs per series string allows some voltage across the resistor.

You also can't put all the LEDs in parallel since this would result in some of them burning brightly but others not lighting at all. This is because all LEDs are not created equal and the voltages tend to vary a bit in a sample of LEDs.

OH...that's right...been a while.

What is the actual resistance in a LED? There must be some~!

psparky said:

LEDs are non ohmic devices. Parasitic resistance of ohmic contacts should be negligible.

DragonPetter said:
LEDs are non ohmic devices. Parasitic resistance of ohmic contacts should be negligible.

Oh ya...that would explain why they don't use much power and they last so long.

Yet...we need to use a power burning resistor in series to "limit" the current.

Strange...indeed.

psparky said:
Oh ya...that would explain why they don't use much power and they last so long.

Yet...we need to use a power burning resistor in series to "limit" the current.

Strange...indeed.

No, they use power. The voltage drop times the current is the power they use. Its just efficiently converted to light rather than heat.

Edit: they last so long because thermal damage is the main fatigue or wear that semiconductors experience, aside from transient voltage damage that LEDs probably don't see much of, and LEDs don't generally experience temperature shock or large amounts of heat dissipation.

Last edited:
psparky said:
It might be feasible to arrange 2 LEDs in parallel, esp when OP is prepared to pick and choose to get matched pairs to share the current equally.

psparky said:

The problem with LEDs, and most diodes, is that their resistance drops rapidly with increasing forward voltage.

So, a LED with 3.5 volts across it and drawing 20 mA has a resistance of 175 ohms. (3.5 volts / 0.02 amps)

But give it 4 volts and it could draw 1 amp and then its resistance would be 4 ohms and it would be dissipating 4 watts. Enough of this 4 watts will be heat to melt the LED and it will go dark and stay dark forever.

If you could be sure the voltage never went above 3.5 volts, you wouldn't need a resistor.

However, if the voltage then went below 3.2 volts, the LED would turn off. Not much of a range.

With a resistor, the voltage could go up a bit, or down a lot, (as it does over a battery's life) and the LED would still be alight, although the brightness would vary.
So, a resistor is good insurance.

NascentOxygen said:
It might be feasible to arrange 2 LEDs in parallel, esp when OP is prepared to pick and choose to get matched pairs to share the current equally.

Yes, you can do this.

Assume each LED needs 3.5 volts at 20 mA and the supply is 9 volts.

If the LEDs are in parallel, the resistor will have 9 volts - 3.5 volts or 5.5 volts across it.
So, it will be 5.5 volts / 0.04 amps or 137.5 ohms
and dissipating 5.5 volts times 0.04 amps or 220 mW.

Now, if you put the LEDs in series, the resistor would have 9 volts - 7 volts or 2 volts across it.
It will be 2 volts / 0.02 amps or 100 ohms
and it will be dissipating 2 volts times 0.02 amps or 40 mW.

So, it is 5.5 times more efficient to put them is series. (220 mW / 40mW = 5.5)

vk6kro said:
Yes, you can do this.

Assume each LED needs 3.5 volts at 20 mA and the supply is 9 volts.

If the LEDs are in parallel, the resistor will have 9 volts - 3.5 volts or 5.5 volts across it.
I meant 4 diodes sharing the one driver/resistor. Two parallel strings, each of two LEDs.

But a resistor won't be practicable as these 9v batteries have poor regulation. An active driver can compensate for this and maintain a fixed current. By taking the time to match each 4-diode combo he can halve the number of drivers needed.

NascentOxygen said:
I meant 4 diodes sharing the one driver/resistor. Two parallel strings, each of two LEDs.

But a resistor won't be practicable as these 9v batteries have poor regulation. An active driver can compensate for this and maintain a fixed current. By taking the time to match each 4-diode combo he can halve the number of drivers needed.

This circuit isn't going to work with a 9 volt battery.

Even if the drivers were 100 % efficient, the power used would be (3.4 volts times 0.02 amps times 100) or 6.8 watts.
This is 755 mA from a 9 volt battery. It may work for 10 minutes or so...Maybe if the battery was made up of D cells?

The added complexity of using switch mode drivers isn't going to make a battery feasible, so it is better to use a little more current from a mains power source and keep it simple. It is already 75% efficient.
(6.8 volts* 0.02A / 9 volts*0.02A) * 100

vk6kro said:
This circuit isn't going to work with a 9 volt battery.
You missed my suggestion about using 5 such batteries?
The added complexity of using switch mode drivers isn't going to make a battery feasible, so it is better to use a little more current from a mains power source and keep it simple. It is already 75% efficient.
I suspect he wants it relocatable or portable, i.e., no power connection.

I see that Radio Shack (US) have 9V alkalines for 4 for $9.89. That seems like a pretty expensive way to do it.

You may be able to get plastic holders that will hold 6 "D" cells, or it may be better to get a small 12 V battery that can be recharged.

1. What is the best way to wire 100 LEDs?

The best way to wire 100 LEDs depends on your specific project and needs. However, a common approach is to use multiple parallel circuits with a series of resistors to regulate the voltage and current flow to each LED.

2. How do I calculate the correct resistor value for my LED wiring?

The formula for calculating the resistor value for LED wiring is R = (Vs - Vf) / If, where R is the resistance in ohms, Vs is the supply voltage, Vf is the forward voltage of the LED, and If is the desired current in amperes. You can also use online tools or consult with an electronics expert for assistance.

3. Can I use a single power source for all 100 LEDs?

Yes, it is possible to use a single power source for all 100 LEDs. However, you must ensure that the power supply can handle the total current required for all the LEDs and that the wiring is properly designed to distribute the current evenly to each LED.

4. How can I prevent overheating when wiring 100 LEDs?

To prevent overheating, it is crucial to use the correct resistor values and ensure proper ventilation for the LEDs. You can also use a heatsink or thermal paste to dissipate excess heat. Additionally, regularly checking the temperature of the LEDs and adjusting the circuit if needed can help prevent overheating.

5. What is the maximum number of LEDs that can be wired together?

The maximum number of LEDs that can be wired together depends on the power supply, LED specifications, and wiring design. It is best to consult with an electronics expert or carefully calculate the power and current requirements for your specific project to determine the maximum number of LEDs you can wire together.