What happens if you drink a large amount of ATP contained in a solution?

• Thread starter royzizzle
  • Start date
In summary, ATP is a vital molecule in our body that is constantly produced by our mitochondria. It is quickly hydrolyzed in water and cannot be used as a source of energy. Additionally, external sources of ATP, such as pills, have been found to have no significant impact on muscle performance. The body may break down external ATP, but it is not used as a source of energy.
royzizzle
How will your body try to get rid of the excess ATP? will the kidneys get rid of it or will the ATP just sit in your muscles until you use them. or will it not even go to your bloodstream and diarea gets rid of it?

i know this seems like a really stupid question but i haven't taken any biology classes.

thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't know what 'excess ATP' means. If you dissolve ATP in water, it will quickly hydrolyze until equilibrium is reached ([ATP]/[ADP][Pi]), at which point your body cannot get any work out of the solution- and that neglects whether or not the stomach will further degrade ATP and ADP in the pH 1 environment.

AFAIK, your mitochondria crank out ATP as fast as possible; the rate-limiting step is the availability of glucose. I suspect ATP synthesis will continue until the energy cost of creating a molecule of ATP is more than can be obtained by the various metabolic reactions (oxidative phosphorylation and glycolysis).

Also, ATP is a signalling molecule: ATP in the airway fluid, urine, blood, etc. will initiate various signalling pathways via purinergic receptors in epithelial tissue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenosine_triphosphate

Agree with everything Andy has said. Even if you could use a solution that ATP can just sit in without hydrolyzing the body does not appear to use ATP from external source. There are these pills called AdenylPro which was an a pill to be taken as an oral form of ATP. The theory was that it would increase the amount of time you spend at maximal output for your muscles. After experiments (which I haven't gone to look for, I'm sure you can just search AdenylPro in google) they found that the pills did not help increase anything. No performance effects were noted in the experiment.

One thing we do not know however is exactly what your question originally was: What the body does with external sources of ATP. I think it just gets broken down.

What are the potential risks of drinking a large amount of ATP contained in a solution?

Consuming a large amount of ATP in solution can have several potential risks, including gastrointestinal discomfort, dehydration, and electrolyte imbalances. Additionally, ATP is not easily absorbed by the body when consumed orally, so it may not provide the intended energy boost.

Is it safe to drink ATP in solution as a source of energy?

While ATP is an essential molecule for energy production in the body, it is not recommended to consume it in solution as a source of energy. The body has complex mechanisms for producing and utilizing ATP, and consuming it in solution may not be effective or safe.

Can drinking ATP in solution improve athletic performance?

There is limited evidence to suggest that consuming ATP in solution can improve athletic performance. Some studies have shown slight improvements in muscle strength and endurance, but more research is needed to determine the effectiveness and safety of this practice.

What happens if you overdose on ATP in solution?

An overdose of ATP in solution can lead to serious side effects, including nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and muscle cramps. It is important to follow recommended dosages and consult a healthcare professional before consuming ATP in solution.

How does the body normally obtain ATP?

The body produces ATP through cellular respiration, using nutrients from food to create energy. ATP is also recycled and replenished through various metabolic processes. Consuming ATP in solution may not provide any additional benefits over the body's natural mechanisms for producing and utilizing ATP.