Challenging Integral: Evaluating \int 3e^{2x}\sqrt{x+1}\ dx for ODEs

In summary: What?? :biggrin:Hey Twoflower, what's going on with this? Your initial ODE was:y^{''}+2y^{'}+y=3e^x\sqrt{1+x}Using variation of parameter, I get:y(x)=A(x)e^{-x}+B(x)xe^{-x}+c_1e^{-x}+c_2xe^{-x}with:B(x)=\frac{3\left(4e^{2+2x}\sqrt{1+x}-\sqrt{2\pi
twoflower
Hi,

could you please help me in evaluating this integral?

[tex]
\int 3e^{2x}\sqrt{x+1}\ dx
[/tex]

I got to this point during solving one ODE and have no idea what to do with this one.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
benorin said:
not pretty, Maple says it involves an erfc.

Bad, very bad...

Hi twoflower

I solve your integral, and found the following answer

$$\frac{3(4e^{2+2x}\sqrt{x+1}-\sqrt{2\pi}Erfi(\sqrt{2(1+x)}))}{8e^{2}}$$

when

Erfi[z] gives the imaginary error function erf(iz)/i

fleon said:
Hi twoflower
I solve your integral, and found the following answer
$$\frac{3(4e^{2+2x}\sqrt{x+1}-\sqrt{2\pi}Erfi(\sqrt{2(1+x)}))}{8e^{2}}$$
when
Erfi[z] gives the imaginary error function erf(iz)/i

Thank you, but that's definitely not what I was supposed to get..Kind of ugly for ODE solution, isn't it? :)

try [tex]y=\sqrt{x+1}[/tex]
and then pick [tex]4ye^{2y^2}[/tex] as dv and [tex]y[/tex] for u... (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/IntegrationbyParts.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I'm learning to use this editor, the answer is as follow

[tex]\frac{3(4e^{2+2x}\sqrt{x+1}-\sqrt{2\pi}Erfi(\sqrt{2(1+x)}))}{8e^{2}}[/tex].

oh yeah, and i forgot, after the integration in parts i suggested above.. you know the trick for [tex]e^{x^2}[/tex] right?

Thank you fargoth, going to try that.

benorin said:
What was the ODE?

By the way, you can use www.integrals.com

The ODE is

[tex]
y'' + 2y' + y = 3e^{x}\sqrt{x+1}
[/tex]

benorin said:
is it [itex]e^{2x}\mbox{ or }e^{x}[/itex]?

It's [itex]e^{x}[/itex]

Well, if it is either of the above, then your answer is just nasty (erfc, and all that). But if, perhaps, you had, say [tex]y^{\prime\prime}+2y^{\prime} + y= 3e^{-x}\sqrt{x+1} [/tex], then your answer is rather sweet, namely [tex]y(x)=c_{1}e^{-x}+c_{2}xe^{-x}+\frac{4}{5}e^{-x}(x+1)^{\frac{5}{2}}[/tex]. In fact, if the exponent of e in the nonhomogeneous part is anything other than -1, erfc (computer aided educated guess).

Last edited:
benorin said:
Well, if it is either of the above, then your answer is just nasty (erfc, and all that). But if, perhaps, you had, say [tex]y^{\prime\prime}+2y^{\prime} + y= 3e^{-x}\sqrt{x+1} [/tex], then your answer is rather sweet, namely [tex]y(x)=c_{1}e^{-x}+c_{2}xe^{-x}+\frac{4}{5}e^{-x}(x+1)^{\frac{5}{2}}[/tex]. In fact, if the exponent of e in the nonhomogeneous part is anything other than -1, erfc (computer aided educated guess).

You're an oracle, benorin! Professor wrote in wrongly, there has to be [itex]e^{-x}[/itex] in the original ODE.

Why should the mildly messy format of the first solution discourage you? The ODE as first written is perfectly solvable even for the second solution (assuming you're using variation of parameter and B(x) is defined as above) with the second one:

[tex]A(x)=-3\int xe^{2x}\sqrt{x+1}[/tex]

That's just me though.:smile:

Edit: Oh yea, I haven't (yet) checked this.

Edit2: Oh yea: equal rights for special functions. You know I have to send a dollar to Lurflurf each time I use that saying don't you?

Last edited:
benorin said:

Now I computed it and got another solution..

And the official one our proffesor has on his webpage is

[tex]
y = \frac{3}{2} \log \left(x^2 + \sqrt{x^4 + 1}\right)e^{-x} -2(x+1)^{\frac{3}{2}}xe^{-x} + \alpha e^{-x} + \beta xe^{-x}
[/tex]

saltydog said:
Why should the mildly messy format of the first solution discourage you? The ODE as first written is perfectly solvable even for the second solution (assuming you're using variation of parameter and B(x) is defined as above) with the second one:

[tex]A(x)=-3\int xe^{2x}\sqrt{x+1}[/tex]

That's just me though.:smile:

Edit: Oh yea, I haven't (yet) checked this.

Edit2: Oh yea: equal rights for special functions. You know I have to send a dollar to Lurflurf each time I use that saying don't you?

What?? :biggrin:

Hey Twoflower, what's going on with this? Your initial ODE was:

[tex]y^{''}+2y^{'}+y=3e^x\sqrt{1+x}[/tex]

Using variation of parameter, I get:

[tex]y(x)=A(x)e^{-x}+B(x)xe^{-x}+c_1e^{-x}+c_2xe^{-x}[/tex]

with:

[tex]B(x)=\frac{3\left(4e^{2+2x}\sqrt{1+x}-\sqrt{2\pi}\text{Erfi}(\sqrt{2(1+x)})\right)}{8e^2}[/tex]

[tex]A(x)=-\frac{3\left(4e^{2+2x}\sqrt{1+x}(4x-3)+7\sqrt{2\pi}\text{Erfi}(\sqrt{2(1+x)})\right)}{32e^2}[/tex]

Back-substituting y(x) (via Mathematica) into the LHS of the ODE, I get the RHS.

When I back-substitute the "official solution" you posted above into the LHS of the ODE, I get an expression not even close to the RHS, minus x or not.

Last edited:
Really, just what is anyway:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\text{Erfi}[x][/tex]

and:

[tex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2}\text{Erfi}[x][/tex]

And also, I think we should ask Twoflower to solve this for us:

[tex]y^{''}+2y^{'}+y=3e^x\sqrt{1+x},\quad y(0)=0,\;y'(0)=1[/tex]

not numerically neither: figure out what c1 and c2 are.:smile:

Last edited:
saltydog said:
Really, just what is anyway:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\text{Erfi}[x][/tex]

and:

[tex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2}\text{Erfi}[x][/tex]

And also, I think we should ask Twoflower to solve this for us:

[tex]y^{''}+2y^{'}+y=3e^x\sqrt{1+x},\quad y(0)=0,\;y'(0)=1[/tex]

not numerically neither: figure out what c1 and c2 are.:smile:

Well, this will definitely not appear in the test and I would probably not manage it.

twoflower said:
Well, this will definitely not appear in the test and I would probably not manage it.

As always, just a suggestion. Do as you wish.:smile: And at the bottom of your test, if you're sure you're going to make an A, write "PF powered!".:smile:

saltydog said:
As always, just a suggestion. Do as you wish.:smile: And at the bottom of your test, if you're sure you're going to make an A, write "PF powered!".:smile:
Well, a large portion of my analysis success at the faculty so far is PF powered :) Thank you.

I'm no oracle, and I didn't use Oracle [the database]: just Maple.

twoflower said:
You're an oracle, benorin! Professor wrote in wrongly, there has to be [itex]e^{-x}[/itex] in the original ODE.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that is used to determine the area under a curve. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. Why is the integral in the form of ∫ 3e^{2x}\sqrt{x+1}\ dx?

The integral is in this specific form because it is the antiderivative of the original function, which is 3e^{2x}\sqrt{x+1}. Finding the antiderivative allows us to evaluate the integral and solve for its value.

3. What is the significance of the variable "x" in the integral?

The variable "x" represents the independent variable in the function. It is the variable that the function is dependent on and is used to determine the value of the integral over a specific interval.

4. How do you solve for the value of the integral?

To solve for the value of the integral, we use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. In this specific integral, we would need to use substitution to solve for the value.

5. What are the practical applications of evaluating integrals for ODEs?

Evaluating integrals for ODEs (ordinary differential equations) is crucial in many fields of science and engineering. It allows us to model and understand various natural phenomena, such as population growth, motion, and chemical reactions. It is also used in practical applications such as calculating the area under a velocity-time graph to determine the total distance traveled by an object.