Is this alternating series convergent?

• Thread starter chesshaha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation is about determining the convergence of a series by rewriting it as an alternating series. The series can be rewritten as \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}2(-1)^{n} and it is found to oscillate between -1 and 0. Therefore, it is not convergent and its sum is not well-defined.
chesshaha

Homework Statement

series converge?

DL the img, sry, can't type it.
http://www.geocities.com/chessobeyer/math.bmp

what's the sum if converge?

Homework Equations

none.

The Attempt at a Solution

alternating series, but it's (-2)

Attachments

• math.bmp
    84.2 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you saying it converges, or diverge?

quasar987 said:
Are you saying it converges, or diverge?

I don't know where to start, I didn't know what test to use?

Can u give me a hint of which test to use?

Based on what you said, I assume that you already understood that the series can be rewritten as

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}2(-1)^{n}[/tex]

??

I don't see which test can be used on this. But you can fall back on the very definition of convergence: A series converge if the sequence of the partial sums converge. But if you find two subsequences that converge to different values, then the sequence itself diverges. Can you find those subsequences?

quasar987 said:
Based on what you said, I assume that you already understood that the series can be rewritten as

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}2(-1)^{n}[/tex]

??

I don't see which test can be used on this. But you can fall back on the very definition of convergence: A series converge if the sequence of the partial sums converge. But if you find two subsequences that converge to different values, then the sequence itself diverges. Can you find those subsequences?

thx, that helps alot, so the alternating series?

Can u factor out the 2? r u sure that can be done?i don't understand

I got the series diverge, because the 2 cancels and it left with [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(-1)^{n}[/tex]

is it right?

thx for ur help

Ah, there is a test you can use! And it's the easiest. If [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} a_n\neq 0[/itex], then the series [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] diverges.

Thanks for your help. But I still don't understand how can did u rewrite the series... to this [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}2(-1)^{n}[/tex]

Sorry, I am a bit of slow, Please Explain more, Thank You!

Ok, here is how.

[tex]\frac{(-2)^{n+1}}{2^n}=\frac{(-2)(-2)^n}{2^n}=(-2)\left(\frac{(-2)}{2}\right)^n=(-2)(-1)^n=2(-1)^{n+1}[/tex]

Thus,

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-2)^{n+1}}{2^n}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}2(-1)^{n+1}=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}2(-1)^{n}[/tex]

quasar987 said:
Ok, here is how.

[tex]\frac{(-2)^{n+1}}{2^n}=\frac{(-2)(-2)^n}{2^n}=(-2)\left(\frac{(-2)}{2}\right)^n=(-2)(-1)^n=2(-1)^{n+1}[/tex]

Thus,

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-2)^{n+1}}{2^n}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}2(-1)^{n+1}=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}2(-1)^{n}[/tex]

catching the bump up in the index is tricky. notice that the series now starts at n=1.

Thank you very much, this helps alot.

So the series converge, the sum is either 0 or -2, depends if it's even or odd, right?

chesshaha said:
Thank you very much, this helps alot.

So the series converge, the sum is either 0 or -2, depends if it's even or odd, right?

A series cannot converge to two limits. That sort of behavior is called 'divergent'.

o yea, thanks.

Dick said:
A series cannot converge to two limits. That sort of behavior is called 'divergent'.

Ahh I think a more appropriate word would have been is oscillating =]

Gib Z said:
Ahh I think a more appropriate word would have been is oscillating =]

Right. And the sum of i from i=0 to infinity could more accurately be said to 'increase without bound' rather than diverge. :smile:

Taking out the factor of 2, partial sums gives : -1, 0, -1,0,-1... So it is bounded...

1. What does it mean for a series to converge?

A series is said to converge if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms approaches infinity. In simpler terms, the terms of the series eventually add up to a specific number instead of getting larger and larger.

2. How can I determine if a series converges or diverges?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series, such as the ratio test, root test, and comparison test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms of the series to determine if they approach a finite value or if they diverge to infinity.

3. What is the importance of knowing if a series converges or diverges?

Knowing if a series converges or diverges is important in many areas of mathematics and science, as it allows for the accurate calculation of sums and the prediction of future values. It is also important in understanding the behavior of functions and in the development of mathematical theories.

4. Can a series converge to different values?

Yes, a series can converge to different values depending on the specific terms of the series and the method used to determine convergence. For example, a series may converge to one value when using the ratio test, but may converge to a different value when using the root test.

5. What does it mean for a series to diverge?

A series is said to diverge if the sum of its terms does not approach a finite value as the number of terms approaches infinity. This can occur if the terms of the series get increasingly larger or if they oscillate between positive and negative values without approaching a specific value.