Points on an Ellipse: Finding Slope of Tangent Line

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the points on the ellipse x^2+4y^2=4 where the slope of the tangent line is 1/2sqrt3. The speaker suggests using implicit differentiation and setting the derivative equal to the given slope, but this approach does not work. Another person suggests setting up a system of equations and solving for the coordinates of the point. The original speaker thanks everyone for their help and confirms that this method does indeed result in two points.
Emethyst
Hello everyone, I am still relatively new to this site, so any mistakes I take full blame for.

My question is: At what point(s) on the ellipse x^2+4y^2=4 is the slope of the tangent line 1/2sqrt3?

I have found the derivative of the equation through implicit differentation (I came out with dy/dx=-2x/8y, if wrong please tell me) and thought I could solve the given equation for one of the variables, then plug it into the derivative while setting it = to the slope of the tangent line and solve for the variable, then simply use that point to find the other one, but it did not work.

Could someone be of assistance and show me how to go about this question, as it is 4 marks and I want to make sure I am prepared for the upcoming test. (For what its worth too I am in the beginning of grade 12 calculus so try and keep any explanation simple :tongue:)

Thanks in advance guys :smile:.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok.

Call the point at which the slope of the tg is as you have there [tex](x_0,y_0)[/tex]

then what this means is that you will have a system of two eq. in two unknowns:

[tex]\frac{1}{2\sqrt{3}}=-\frac{x_0}{4y_0}[/tex]

and

[tex]x_0^2+4y_0^2=4[/tex]

I assume you know how to solve for x_0 and y_o right?

[tex]

Thanks a bunch, and I believe so, do you simply solve one of the equations for a variable (eg. y) and substitute it into the other one and solve for the one variable left, or is this the wrong way?

Emethyst said:
Thanks a bunch, and I believe so, do you simply solve one of the equations for a variable (eg. y) and substitute it into the other one and solve for the one variable left, or is this the wrong way?

That is correct! so you will most probbably get two points.

Thanks for all of that help sutupidmath, and you're right, it does come out two points :tongue:

What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a type of curve that is defined as the set of all points in a plane where the sum of the distances from two fixed points (called the foci) is constant.

How do you find the slope of a tangent line on an ellipse?

To find the slope of a tangent line on an ellipse, you first need to determine the coordinates of the point where the tangent line touches the ellipse. Then, you can use the derivative of the ellipse equation to calculate the slope at that point.

Is the slope of the tangent line the same at all points on an ellipse?

No, the slope of the tangent line varies at different points on an ellipse. This is because the ellipse is a curved shape, so the slope of the tangent line changes as you move along the curve.

How does the eccentricity of an ellipse affect the slope of the tangent line?

The eccentricity of an ellipse, which is a measure of how elongated the ellipse is, can affect the slope of the tangent line. Generally, the closer the eccentricity is to 1, the steeper the slope of the tangent line will be at a given point on the ellipse.

Can you use the point-slope formula to find the equation of a tangent line on an ellipse?

Yes, the point-slope formula can be used to find the equation of a tangent line on an ellipse. You just need to know the coordinates of the point where the tangent line touches the ellipse, as well as the slope of the tangent line at that point.