Solving Integral Troubles with Vibrations Problem

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: But you cannot integrate dk/dy to get the value of k, as that would mean you are integrating a constant which would give you an infinite number of solutions. You need more information about the problem to solve for k.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

Alrighty. I have reduced a vibrations problem to an integral and I am having some trouble
evaluating it.

I have a value for t and need to find:[tex]-c\omega^2Z^2\int_0^t\cos^2(\omega t-\phi)\ dt[/tex] (1)I guess it is just my memory that is the problem.

If I had [itex]\int\cos^2(x)\ dx[/itex] It would not be a problem.

I am thinking now that I type this that a simple U substitution should do the trick right?EDIT:

If I let [itex]u=\omega t-\phi\ \Rightarrow du=\omega\ dt[/itex]

So (1) becomes:

[tex]-c\omega Z^2\int_0^t\cos^2u\ du[/tex]

Yes?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi - i think your limits should become u(0) & u(t) as well

If you just use the the double angle formula
[tex]\cos^2 t = \frac{1}{2} (1+\cos 2t) [/itex]
from the outset (because it's the next step after your u-substitution anyway), then you really don't need to do a u-substitution if [itex]\omega[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] are just constants.

pls help me too...integration problem

hi... i am new here and i hope someone can please answer my question too..

x-1 + dk/dy = x-1
so when we cancel both x-1 we get dk/dy = 0

my question is can i integrate dk/dy to get the k's value??

if i integrate dk/dy, am i getting C (constant) for the k value?

thank u very much...

Yes, if dk/dy = 0, then k = a constant.

FAQ: Solving Integral Troubles with Vibrations Problem

1. What is the purpose of solving integral troubles with vibrations problem?

The purpose of solving integral troubles with vibrations problem is to determine the natural frequencies and mode shapes of a vibrating system. This information is crucial in designing and analyzing structures and machines to ensure they can withstand vibrations without failure.

2. What is the process for solving integral troubles with vibrations problem?

The process involves setting up and solving integral equations that represent the dynamic behavior of the system. This can be done analytically or numerically using various techniques such as the Rayleigh-Ritz method, Finite Element Method, or Modal Analysis.

3. What are the main challenges in solving integral troubles with vibrations problem?

The main challenges include accurately modeling the system, dealing with nonlinearities, and handling large systems with many degrees of freedom. Another challenge is interpreting the results and understanding the significance of each mode shape and natural frequency.

4. How can solving integral troubles with vibrations problem benefit different industries?

Solving integral troubles with vibrations problem can benefit industries such as aerospace, automotive, civil engineering, and mechanical engineering. It allows for the optimization of structures and machines to improve performance and durability, leading to safer and more efficient products.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving integral troubles with vibrations problem?

Some real-world applications include analyzing the stability of bridges, predicting the behavior of aircraft wings during flight, designing quieter and smoother-running engines, and optimizing the performance of musical instruments. It is also used in the development of earthquake-resistant buildings and structures.