Change of the minkowski metric

In summary: I would highly recommend starting with this tutorial. In summary, the change of the minkowski metric to: n_{\mu\nu} \rightarrow g_{\mu\nu}(x)will violate the Poincare invariance of (example) the Electromagnetism Action. However it allows us to define a wider set of arbitrary transformations (coordinate transformations).
ChrisVer
Gold Member
If I am not mistaken, the change of the minkowski metric to:
[itex] n_{\mu\nu} \rightarrow g_{\mu\nu}(x)[/itex]
will violate the Poincare invariance of (example) the Electromagnetism Action.
However it allows us to define a wider set of arbitrary transformations (coordinate transformations).

The last line confuses me. If I can choose a general coordinate system without a problem (since everything will remain invariant) what restricts my choice not to be of the form:
[itex] x'^{a}(x^{b})= Λ^{a}_{b}x^{b}+p^{a}[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing will prevent you from choosing that form of a transformation, if your Lambda matrix is arbitrary. What's special about the Poincare transformations is that the Lambda matrix has special properties (i.e. that it preserves the Minkowski metric). General coordinate transformations will not. Try a change from Cartesian coordinates to Polar coordinates and see what your lambda matrix has to be, and then notice that it is not in the group of Lorentz transformations.

The Poincare group consists of Lorentz transformations ((hyperbolic) rotations in spacetime
by ##\Lambda##) and spacetime translations by ##a \in \mathbb{R}^4##. Changing you coordinate system from one cartesian one to another one corresponds to letting the Poincare group act on your coordinate system via
$$x'^i=\Lambda^i{}_j x^j + a^i \, .$$
Since
$$\eta = \eta_{ij} \, d x^i \, dx^j$$
you will find that this transformation leaves the metric invariant. Note that I omitted the tensor product, because it is symmetric. Changing to another non-cartesian coordinate system does not (!) change your metric, however, it does change how it looks like in your coordinate system. The EM-field tensor is
$$F= F_{ij} \, d x^i \wedge d x^j$$
and things work in an entirely analogous manner.

ChrisVer said:
The last line confuses me. If I can choose a general coordinate system without a problem (since everything will remain invariant) what restricts my choice not to be of the form:
[itex] x'^{a}(x^{b})= Λ^{a}_{b}x^{b}+p^{a}[/itex]?

You seem to be assuming that Minkowski coordinates still exist in GR. They don't (except in special cases). Therefore there is no way to define a Lorentz transformation.

Yes, if this is really a GR question, then you're thinking about this in an entirely wrong manner.
Let's get this straight: Special relativity is indeed a special case of general relativity. Spacetime in special relativity is ##(\mathbb R ^4 , \eta)##, where ##\mathbb R ^4## is your spacetime manifold and ##\eta## tells you implicitly how far points are from each other, angles and which directions are spacelike, timelike, lightlike/null, etc. The poincare group is the group of active (or passive if interpreted as coordinate transformations) transformations on your manifold that leave the metric ##\eta## the same.
In general relativity, we replace ##\mathbb R ^4## by a general 4-dimensional manifold ##Q## and the Minkowski metric ##\eta## by a general non-constant metric ##g##, which is a solution to the Einstein equation. Then the group of transformations that leaves ##g## invariant will not be the Poincare group. In fact, this group might not even exist. If it does, it is called an isometry group, because it doesn't change distances. Hence the Poincare group is the "largest" group of isometries of Minkowski spacetime.

Please read up on basic manifold theory, especially (pseudo-)Riemannian manifolds, before diving into GR.

1. What is a "change of the Minkowski metric"?

The Minkowski metric, also known as the Minkowski spacetime, is a mathematical model that describes the geometry of spacetime in special relativity. A change of the Minkowski metric refers to a transformation of this model, often used in general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime.

2. Why is a change of the Minkowski metric important?

A change of the Minkowski metric is important because it allows us to describe the effects of gravity and the curvature of spacetime in general relativity. This is essential for understanding the behavior of objects and light in the presence of massive bodies.

3. How is a change of the Minkowski metric calculated?

A change of the Minkowski metric is calculated using mathematical equations and transformations, such as the Einstein field equations and coordinate transformations. These equations take into account the mass and energy distribution in a given spacetime and determine the resulting curvature.

4. What are the practical applications of a change of the Minkowski metric?

The practical applications of a change of the Minkowski metric are primarily in the field of general relativity, where it is used to explain and predict the behavior of objects in the presence of massive bodies, such as planets, stars, and black holes. It is also used in the development of technologies such as GPS systems, which rely on precise calculations of spacetime curvature.

5. Can a change of the Minkowski metric affect our daily lives?

While the effects of a change in the Minkowski metric may seem abstract, they can have significant impacts on our daily lives. For example, the theory of general relativity, which relies on a change of the Minkowski metric, is crucial for the functioning of GPS systems, which are used for navigation in our daily lives. Additionally, a better understanding of spacetime curvature can lead to advancements in space travel and communication technologies.