Choosing the Best Graphing Calculator: TI-89 vs. TI-85 Comparison

In summary, the conversation discusses the different types of graphing calculators available, with the TI-89 being the most advanced and expensive option. The TI-85 and TI-83 are also mentioned as possible alternatives. Some recommendations are given, including downloading a graphing program on a computer and not relying solely on the calculator for calculations. The TI-89 Titanium is highly praised for its advanced features and ease of use. The conversation also cautions against becoming too reliant on the calculator and recommends using other methods for calculations.
Willowz
I need to get a graphing calculator but I am not sure which one suits me best. I need it for graphing and possibly some more advanced functions. I checked out the prices and the TI-89 is somewhat expensive. It seems a little "hyped" than the other older models. Does the TI-85 have everything the 89 has, just on older hardware?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Been looking around and saw that the TI-83 might not be a bad choice. Any recommendations from experience?

If you're using it for pre calculus math, TI 84 will be more than sufficient. If you're doing calculus and beyond, a TI 89 will be very useful but not necessary.

I recommend downloading a grapher on your computer. The online time I ever used a graphing calculator was at home anyways. It's much cheaper too and you can even find some on a smartphone.

I've owned a TI-83, a TI-84+, and I currently own a TI-89 Titanium, and I must say that the TI-89 T blows the other ones away.

There is much more memory integrated in the calculator, it is much faster. It is also much easier to use the more advanced functions (IMO), and it looks a lot nicer. I would really suggest a TI-89T, you won't be disappointed.

I'm going with Fragment. I own a TI-89 Titanium and it's a very good calculator, has plenty of features (symbolic differentiation and integration, simple ODEs, 2D curve sketching, 3D graphing, simultaneous linear equation solver...), and the learning curve isn't steep at all.

A word of warning, though - don't get addicted to it. If you're still in high school of your first year of college, try to work out stuff by hand. If you keep using your calculator to do simple calculations, you're going to go rusty fast.

What kind of class do you need this calculator for? For other stuff, I use the European equivalent of http://www.casio.com/products/Calculators_&_Dictionaries/Scientific_%26_Financial/FX-115ES/" , and it does plenty of stuff (but it doesn't have graphing capabilities), like numerical integration and differentiation, quadratic and cubic equations, up to 3 simultaneous equations, complex numbers, statistical functions, ...

Last edited by a moderator:

What are the main differences between the TI-89 and TI-85 graphing calculators?

The TI-89 and TI-85 are both powerful graphing calculators, but they have some key differences. The TI-89 has a larger screen, more memory, and more advanced features such as 3D graphing and symbolic manipulation. The TI-85, on the other hand, has a smaller screen and less memory, but is more affordable and still has many useful features for graphing and solving equations.

Which calculator is better for high school students?

This ultimately depends on the individual student's needs and preferences. The TI-89 may be more suitable for advanced math classes, as it has more features and can handle more complex equations. However, the TI-85 is still a powerful calculator that can handle most high school math courses and is more budget-friendly.

Is it worth it to upgrade from the TI-85 to the TI-89?

If you are currently using the TI-85 and are satisfied with its capabilities, there may not be a need to upgrade to the TI-89. However, if you find yourself needing more advanced features or struggling with complex equations, the upgrade may be worth it. Consider your individual needs and budget before making a decision.

Can both calculators be used for standardized tests like the SAT and ACT?

Yes, both the TI-89 and TI-85 are allowed on the SAT and ACT. However, it is important to check the specific guidelines for each test as they may have restrictions on certain calculator models or features.

Are there any alternatives to the TI-89 and TI-85 that are worth considering?

Yes, there are several other graphing calculators on the market that may be worth considering, such as the Casio fx-9750GII and the HP Prime. It is important to research and compare features and prices to determine which calculator best fits your needs.