Elastic-Linear Hardening Model of Plasticity

In summary: This can provide more accurate results compared to the method you mentioned. In summary, when analyzing a truss structure in Abaqus with different assumptions, it is important to define the plastic region of the stress-strain curve accurately, whether through plotting or using an incremental strain hardening model.
bill nye scienceguy!
I'm analysing a simple truss structure in Abaqus, comparing the results from linear elastic, elastic perfect plastic and elastic linear hardening assumptions.

When it comes to linear hardening I need to define in Abaqus the plastic region of the stress strain curve. I know the gradient E of both regions of the curve and the yield stress and strain. I need to input a value of yield stress and plastic strain in Abaqus' plastic material properties so I was going to do this by plotting the whole curve and at arbitrary values of post yield stress drop a line parallel to the elastic curve to find the plastic strain.

Is this a valid method and if not what should I do instead?

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, this is a valid method for defining the plastic region of the stress-strain curve in Abaqus. It is important to make sure that the given elastic modulus and yield stress and strain values are consistent with the slope of the line you draw parallel to the elastic curve. Additionally, you can use an incremental strain hardening model to define the plastic region in Abaqus, where you can define the parameters of the plastic strain increment (e.g. strain hardening exponent) and the maximum plastic strain.

1. What is the Elastic-Linear Hardening Model of Plasticity?

The Elastic-Linear Hardening Model of Plasticity is a mathematical model used to describe the mechanical behavior of materials that undergo plastic deformation. It is based on the concept of linear elasticity and assumes that the material undergoes linear hardening during plastic deformation.

2. How does the Elastic-Linear Hardening Model of Plasticity work?

The model works by considering the material as a series of springs that are connected in parallel and in series. When a force is applied, the springs deform and the material undergoes plastic deformation. The model takes into account the elastic and plastic deformation of the material, and predicts the behavior of the material under different loading conditions.

3. What is meant by "linear hardening" in the Elastic-Linear Hardening Model of Plasticity?

In the Elastic-Linear Hardening Model of Plasticity, "linear hardening" refers to the assumption that the material undergoes a linear increase in strength as it undergoes plastic deformation. This means that the yield stress of the material increases proportionally with the amount of plastic strain.

4. What are some applications of the Elastic-Linear Hardening Model of Plasticity?

The model is commonly used in engineering and material science fields to predict the behavior of materials under different loading conditions. It is particularly useful for predicting the behavior of metals, such as steel and aluminum, which are commonly used in structural applications.

5. Are there any limitations to the Elastic-Linear Hardening Model of Plasticity?

Yes, there are some limitations to the model. It assumes that the material is isotropic, meaning it has the same properties in all directions. It also does not take into account the effects of temperature, strain rate, and other factors that can affect the behavior of materials. Additionally, the model may not accurately predict the behavior of materials that undergo large plastic deformations.