After a Real Analysis book that has solutions (for self-study)

In summary, there are a few options for self-study in analysis, such as 'Understanding Analysis' by Stephen Abbott and 'Real Mathematical Analysis' by C.C. Pugh. However, there is not a solutions manual available for these texts. As for Linear Algebra, some recommended options are Hoffman's Linear Algebra and the Kaczor & Nowak "Problems in Analysis" series. There is also a free text by Erdman that includes answers.
autodidude
One that is suitable for self-study and doesn't require me to constantly ask the internet for clarifications.

'Understanding Analysis' by Stephen Abbott and 'Real Mathematical Analysis' by C.C. Pugh seem suitable but unfortunately I can't find a solutions manual

Thanks

EDIT:

Also I need a Linear Algebra text! Is Hoffman's Linear Algebra recommended as a first course in LA (self study also)? I've read the Amazon reviews and like most texts, some think it is, some don't. I bought Shilov's Linear Algebra (it's cheap) to see what LA is all about but it seems a bit terse for me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the purpose of studying Real Analysis?

The purpose of studying Real Analysis is to develop a deeper understanding of the fundamental concepts of calculus, such as limits, continuity, and differentiability, in order to rigorously prove and understand the properties and behavior of real-valued functions.

2. How is Real Analysis different from Calculus?

Real Analysis builds upon the concepts learned in Calculus, but takes a more rigorous and theoretical approach to the study of real-valued functions. It focuses on the underlying principles and proofs rather than just computational techniques.

3. Is it necessary to have a background in mathematics before studying Real Analysis?

While a strong foundation in calculus is helpful, it is not necessary to have a background in mathematics before studying Real Analysis. However, it is recommended to have a solid understanding of basic mathematical concepts such as functions, limits, and continuity.

4. Can Real Analysis be self-studied?

Yes, Real Analysis can be self-studied, but it requires dedication, discipline, and a strong understanding of mathematical concepts. It is important to have a reliable textbook with solutions and to seek help from online resources or a tutor if needed.

5. What are some practical applications of Real Analysis?

Real Analysis has many practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is used to model and analyze real-world phenomena, optimize systems, and develop algorithms and software.