New Student Seeking Advice on Physics Major with Math/Physics Struggles

In summary, the individual is a high school student who is interested in majoring in physics but struggled in their junior year physics and pre-calculus classes. They are currently excelling in AP chemistry and plan to do private studying in physics and calculus. They are concerned about their high school grades affecting their ability to major in physics, but it is possible to still earn a degree in physics if they work hard and get into college.
counterrandom
Hello, I am quite new to this forum and I first just wanted to say that I love it.
Now on to my question. This last year I have found myself really interested in physics and have been reading about it like crazy. The problem is last year, as a junior in high school, I had my physics class and learned next to nothing, I never paid any attention and just hated it. The same goes for pre-calc. I wish I had because now I really want to major in physics, but I am not sure its possible with such a weak study in math and physics. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You still have time to get back on track, you are only in high school. work hard at teh science and math and you can do OK.

work hard when? I am in AP chemistry this year and its so easy, and I am making sure I learn everything possible in that class. Sadly I do not have a physics or calc course this year, just a terribly boring stats class =(

That means it is time to do some private studying. Read up on some basic calculus and physics and obtain some freshman textbooks.

If I remeber correctly, they didn't deny me being a physics major if I didn't get an A in high school physics. Matter a fact, one of my best friends while getting my Bachelors was in the physics department and hadn't taken a high school course in it. Your high school grades will partialy determine whether or not you get into college, but they won't determine your major. I stand by my previous statement, work hard, get into college, and you can earn a physics degree if you want to.

What are the required courses for a physics major?

The specific courses required for a physics major may vary depending on the university or program. However, common courses include introductory physics, calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Some programs may also require courses in mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermodynamics.

How can I improve my math and physics skills?

Improving math and physics skills takes dedication and practice. Some tips include attending class regularly, seeking help from professors or tutors, practicing problems regularly, and utilizing study resources such as textbooks and online tutorials. It is also important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry before diving into more advanced physics concepts.

Is it possible to major in physics with a math/physics struggle?

Yes, it is possible to major in physics even if you struggle with math and physics. However, it may require additional effort and dedication to improve in these areas. Seeking help from professors or tutors and utilizing study resources can greatly improve your understanding and performance in these subjects.

What career opportunities are available for physics majors?

A physics major can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including research and development in fields such as engineering, astronomy, or medicine. Other career options may include teaching, data analysis, and computer programming. Many physics majors also go on to pursue graduate studies in physics or related fields.

Can I switch from a math major to a physics major?

Yes, it is possible to switch from a math major to a physics major. However, it may require taking additional courses to catch up on physics prerequisites. It is important to speak with an academic advisor to determine the best plan of action for switching majors.