Degeneracy of multiple electron states

In summary, the degeneracy of the {}^1\! S_0, {}^1\! D_2, {}^3\! P_2, {}^3\! P_1, {}^3\! P_0 states in an O^{++} ion can be found using the formula g = (2S + 1)(2L + 1), where S is the total spin and L is the orbital angular momentum. The total degeneracy for an O^{++} ion is 33.
Ahmes

Homework Statement

A seemingly trivial part of a Homework I've gotten is to find the degeneracy of the [itex]{}^1\! S_0, {}^1\! D_2, {}^3\! P_2, {}^3\! P_1, {}^3\! P_0[/itex] in an [itex]O^{++}[/itex] ion.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

an [itex]O^{++}[/itex] ion has 4 valance electrons and when [itex]\ell=1[/itex] for example, there are 2x2x2x2x3=48 states all together. I know how to add angular momenta, and technically can add all electrons and the orbital one by one, finding explicitly the states with their Clebsch-Gordan-like coefficients. The thing is that it would take about a week, and I have the feeling that if I just want to find the degeneracy (and not necessarily the states) then it would be much easier.

Any help will be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Finding the degeneracy of these states can definitely be done more efficiently than manually calculating each state. First, let's clarify the notation used in the homework statement. The {}^1\! S_0, {}^1\! D_2, {}^3\! P_2, {}^3\! P_1, {}^3\! P_0 states refer to the electronic configurations of the O^{++} ion, where the superscripts represent the total spin and the subscripts represent the orbital angular momentum. The degeneracy of a state refers to the number of states with the same energy and quantum numbers.

To find the degeneracy of these states, we can use the formula:

g = (2S + 1)(2L + 1)

where S is the total spin and L is the orbital angular momentum. For the {}^1\! S_0 state, S=0 and L=0, so the degeneracy is (2x0 + 1)(2x0 + 1) = 1. For the {}^1\! D_2 state, S=0 and L=2, so the degeneracy is (2x0 + 1)(2x2 + 1) = 5. For the {}^3\! P_2 state, S=1 and L=2, so the degeneracy is (2x1 + 1)(2x2 + 1) = 15. Similarly, for the {}^3\! P_1 state, the degeneracy is (2x1 + 1)(2x1 + 1) = 9, and for the {}^3\! P_0 state, the degeneracy is (2x1 + 1)(2x0 + 1) = 3.

Therefore, the total degeneracy for an O^{++} ion is 1+5+15+9+3 = 33. This method is much quicker and more efficient than manually calculating each state. I hope this helps with your homework! Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is degeneracy of multiple electron states?

Degeneracy of multiple electron states refers to the phenomenon in which multiple electron states have the same energy level. This means that they have the same quantum numbers and are indistinguishable from each other.

What causes degeneracy of multiple electron states?

Degeneracy of multiple electron states is caused by the fact that electrons are identical particles and are subject to the same set of quantum rules. This means that electrons with the same quantum numbers will have the same energy level, resulting in degeneracy.

How does degeneracy of multiple electron states affect atomic and molecular systems?

Degeneracy of multiple electron states has a significant impact on atomic and molecular systems. It determines the energy levels of electrons, which in turn determines the properties and behavior of atoms and molecules. It also plays a crucial role in chemical bonding and the formation of complex molecules.

What are the consequences of breaking degeneracy of multiple electron states?

Breaking degeneracy of multiple electron states can result in a shift in energy levels and changes in the properties of atoms and molecules. This can be achieved through various methods, such as applying an external magnetic or electric field, or through interactions with other atoms or molecules.

How is degeneracy of multiple electron states utilized in quantum mechanics?

Degeneracy of multiple electron states is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to explain and predict the behavior of atoms and molecules. It is also utilized in the development of quantum computing and other advanced technologies.