What my undergrad degree(s) should be

• Programs
  • Thread starter nasijen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Undergrad
In summary, the individual is currently halfway through their undergraduate degree in Physics and plans to attend graduate school in 2 years. They initially wanted to study Astronomy but were advised to pursue Physics as an undergrad. They are now considering a double major in Astronomy or Mathematics, but are unsure which to choose. They have completed differential and integral calculus and may take analysis classes next year. They are also unsure of the mathematics requirements for graduate school in Astronomy. The individual notes that Astronomy requires knowledge of general relativity, which is typically a graduate level course. However, they believe that completing the required math courses for a Physics major would also fulfill the requirements for an Astronomy major.
nasijen
Hello,

I am currently halfway through my undergraduate in Physics, and planning to go to graduate school in 2 years or so. I initially wanted to do Astronomy as an undergrad but I was told doing Physics in undergrad is much better. This wasn't a problem because I loved and still love Physics. I'm considering either picking up an Astronomy double degree or a Mathematics double degree but I'm not sure which to pick. I finished all of differential/integral calculus and I could take some analysis classes next year, but I'm really not sure what mathematics Graduate school really wants for Astronomers (or Astrophysicists..i'm really not sure what the difference is).

I know Astronomy requires all the undergrad physics + general relativity. I studied special relatively and the mathematics were very basic.

Can anyone help me in choosing the 2nd degree?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless things are different in your institution, you won't be getting two degrees. You'll be getting one degree with two majors or concentrations.

If you're interested in astronomy, pick that as your second major (you're not actually getting two degrees, that would take 8 years). Most physics majors have taken all the math they need as part of that. While special relativity math is pretty easy, general relativity is an upper level graduate course. It's not an undergrad course.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, sorry for the wrong terminology, i meant major by degree. I suppose if I do all the math required by physics, then I automatically do all the math required by Astronomy..

I would recommend considering your long-term career goals and interests when deciding on your second degree. Both Astronomy and Mathematics can be valuable in the field of Astrophysics, so it ultimately depends on what you want to specialize in and what skills you want to develop. If you are interested in theoretical research and understanding the underlying principles of the universe, a Mathematics degree may be beneficial. However, if you want to focus more on observational and data analysis work, an Astronomy degree may be more suitable. It may also be helpful to speak with professors or professionals in the field to get a better understanding of the specific requirements and skills needed for graduate school in Astronomy and Astrophysics. Ultimately, the most important thing is to choose a degree that you are passionate about and will help you achieve your career goals.

What should my undergrad degree(s) be?

This is a common question many students have when deciding on their college major. There is no one right answer, as your choice should depend on your interests, strengths, and career goals. However, here are five frequently asked questions about choosing an undergrad degree:

1. Should I choose a degree based on job prospects?

While job prospects are important to consider, they should not be the sole factor in choosing your undergrad degree. Keep in mind that job markets and industries are constantly changing, and what may be in demand now may not be in the future. It's important to choose a degree that you are passionate about and can see yourself enjoying in the long-term.

2. What if I am not sure what I want to do after graduation?

It's completely normal to not have a clear career path in mind when choosing your undergrad degree. Many students change their majors or career paths throughout their college experience. Consider exploring different courses and internships to gain a better understanding of your interests and strengths. You can also speak with a career counselor for guidance.

3. Should I choose a degree based on salary potential?

While salary potential is a valid consideration, it should not be the main factor in your decision. Keep in mind that salary potential can vary greatly depending on your job performance, experience, and industry. It's more important to choose a degree that you are passionate about and can excel in.

4. Will my undergrad degree determine my career for the rest of my life?

No, your undergrad degree does not have to determine your career for the rest of your life. Many people switch careers or go back to school for a different degree later in life. Your undergrad degree can provide a strong foundation of skills and knowledge that can be applied to various industries and careers.

5. Should I choose a degree that aligns with my parents' expectations?

While it's important to consider your parents' opinions, ultimately, the decision should be yours. You are the one who will be studying and working in this field, so it's crucial to choose a degree that you are interested in and motivated to pursue. Openly communicate with your parents about your thoughts and plans, and consider seeking advice from a counselor or mentor.