Determine the Moment and the Maginitude of the Moment

• Thread starter Northbysouth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moment
In summary, the weight of the printer is 86 lb with center of gravity at point G. The moment MO of this weight about point O on the horizontal table top is 404.644 lb-ft. This was found by calculating the moments about the x and y axes and converting the measurements given in inches to feet.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

The weight of the printer is 86 lb with center of gravity at point G. Determine the moment MOof this weight about point O on the horizontal table top. Find the magnitude of MO.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My initial impression was to find the moments about the x, y and z axes and that these would give me their i, j and k components respectively

Mx = (86 lb)(52")
= 4472 lb-ft
My = (86lb)(22")
= 1892 lb-ft

But I've compared these values to an identical question, with altered numbers, in my textbook and my values are much too large to be be the i and j components respectively (there is no k component because the force is parallel to the z axis). So what am I missing?

Attachments

• Statics hwk 8 2.122.png
    Statics hwk 8 2.122.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 765
Physics news on Phys.org
Just found my mistake. I confused my units; the units given in the diagram are in inches, whereas the system and the example question want and give their answers respectively in feet. I converted the measurements in the diagram to feet and my answer is as follows:

Mx = -(86 lb)(4.33 ft)
= -372.6638 lb-ft

My = (86 lb)(1.833ft)
= 157.66638 lb-ft

Mo = sqrt(372.6638^2 + 157.6638^2)
Mo = 404.644 lb-ft

These answers are correct.

Likes zygrade

1. What is a moment in physics?

A moment in physics is a measure of the turning effect produced by a force around a given point or axis. It is also known as torque and is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the point or axis.

2. How is moment different from force?

Moment is different from force in that it takes into account the distance from the point or axis of rotation, whereas force only considers the magnitude of the force applied. A force can produce different moments depending on the distance from the point or axis of rotation.

3. What is the formula for calculating moment?

The formula for calculating moment is M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the applied force, and d is the distance from the point or axis of rotation.

4. How is the magnitude of the moment determined?

The magnitude of the moment is determined by multiplying the magnitude of the applied force by the perpendicular distance from the point or axis of rotation to the line of action of the force. This distance is also known as the moment arm.

5. Why is it important to determine the moment in physics?

Moments are important in physics because they help to understand the stability and equilibrium of objects. Moments are also used in engineering and mechanics to design structures and machines that can withstand external forces and maintain balance.