Job aspects, medical physics or experimental condensed matter physics

In summary, the job prospects for medical physics are currently facing a bottleneck due to a lack of residency positions and a sluggish economy. However, the field still offers more stable and rewarding employment compared to academic-based branches of physics. PhDs in medical physics may have better job opportunities than MS, but there is still competition for jobs in both categories.
megatronlsu
Hi all

It may sound rather silly, but I am a second year graduate student doing experimental condensed matter physics. Recently I've been thinking about the future like job aspects and salaries etc. One of my friend recently transferred to medical physics PhD and said its better in job aspects and opportunities.

So guys, what do you think? In comparison which has more job opportunities?

Any suggestions will help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't comment on the job prospects for condensed matter physics.

Earlier this morning I wrote a response to this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=768803

One of the advantages of medical physics with respect to job opportunities is that it is a professional field that provides clinical services. So it's not driven exclusively or even primarily by academics (I'm not sure that condensed matter is either).

As far as supply and demand goes, there number of graduates and the need for qualified medical physicists is more-or-less balanced. Unfortunately there is a bottleneck that is currently causing a lot of recent graduates stress and is stifling the supply lines. There are not enough residency positions for all graduates currently, so when you finish your PhD, you will be competing for the existing residencies.

On top of that, due to a sluggish economy, the predicted growth rate in the field on average which is due to expected numbers of cancer patients, is higher than the actual recent growth rate. So even among graduates who have completed residencies there is competition for jobs.

That said, what this amounts to is that a PhD in medical physics is not a meal ticket. On a relative basis, I think the field still offers a lot more prospects in terms of stable, rewarding employment, than academic-based branches of physics.

Choppy said:
I can't comment on the job prospects for condensed matter physics.

Earlier this morning I wrote a response to this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=768803

One of the advantages of medical physics with respect to job opportunities is that it is a professional field that provides clinical services. So it's not driven exclusively or even primarily by academics (I'm not sure that condensed matter is either).

As far as supply and demand goes, there number of graduates and the need for qualified medical physicists is more-or-less balanced. Unfortunately there is a bottleneck that is currently causing a lot of recent graduates stress and is stifling the supply lines. There are not enough residency positions for all graduates currently, so when you finish your PhD, you will be competing for the existing residencies.

On top of that, due to a sluggish economy, the predicted growth rate in the field on average which is due to expected numbers of cancer patients, is higher than the actual recent growth rate. So even among graduates who have completed residencies there is competition for jobs.

That said, what this amounts to is that a PhD in medical physics is not a meal ticket. On a relative basis, I think the field still offers a lot more prospects in terms of stable, rewarding employment, than academic-based branches of physics.

Thank you very much for your kind reply. If I understood your post correctly , there is a stalemate between supply and demand because of less job opportunities right now, which can be temporary. I guess academic positions for medical is not sufficient either. And PhD's are rare than MS and also jobs for PhD's are also dwindling at this moment? Also, PhD's or resident has more job opportunities than MS.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I completely understand everything in your post, but I think you have the basic idea.

Hello there,

I can understand your concerns about job aspects and opportunities in different fields of physics. Both medical physics and experimental condensed matter physics have their own unique job opportunities and it ultimately depends on your interests and skills.

Medical physics is a rapidly growing field with a high demand for professionals who can apply their knowledge of physics to healthcare and medical technology. This field offers a variety of job opportunities in hospitals, research institutes, and medical device companies. On the other hand, experimental condensed matter physics has a wide range of applications in industries such as materials science, nanotechnology, and electronics.

In terms of salaries, it can vary depending on the specific job and location. However, both fields offer competitive salaries and potential for growth.

Ultimately, it is important to choose a field that aligns with your interests and strengths. Both medical physics and experimental condensed matter physics are important and exciting areas of research, and your passion and dedication will ultimately lead to a successful and fulfilling career.

I would suggest exploring both fields further and speaking with professionals in each field to gain a better understanding of the job opportunities and requirements. Good luck with your decision and future endeavors.

1. What is the difference between medical physics and experimental condensed matter physics?

Medical physics is a branch of physics that applies principles and techniques of physics to the diagnosis and treatment of diseases. It involves the use of various imaging techniques, such as X-rays and MRI, as well as radiation therapy. On the other hand, experimental condensed matter physics is a field that focuses on studying the physical properties of materials in their condensed state, such as solids and liquids, through experiments and simulations.

2. What job opportunities are available for those studying medical physics?

Individuals with a background in medical physics can pursue careers as medical physicists in hospitals and clinics, where they work with healthcare professionals to ensure safe and effective use of radiation in medical procedures. They can also work in research and development, designing new imaging and treatment techniques, or in regulatory agencies to ensure compliance with safety standards.

3. What skills are necessary for a career in experimental condensed matter physics?

A strong foundation in physics and mathematics is essential for a career in experimental condensed matter physics. Additionally, skills in experimental design, data analysis, and computer programming are also important. Good communication and problem-solving skills are also beneficial for working in a team and conducting research.

4. Is a graduate degree necessary for a career in medical physics?

Yes, most positions in medical physics require at least a master's degree in medical physics or a related field. Some positions may also require a doctoral degree. Additionally, individuals must also complete a residency program and pass a certification exam to become a certified medical physicist.

5. How does experimental condensed matter physics contribute to technological advancements?

Experimental condensed matter physics plays a crucial role in the development of new materials and technologies. Through the study of the physical properties of materials, researchers can discover new materials with unique properties that can be used in various applications, such as electronics, energy storage, and biomedical devices. This field also contributes to advancements in nanotechnology, which has the potential to revolutionize various industries.