Limit as x -> infinity of a sine/cosine graph.

In summary, my roommate asked me to help him solve a homework question, but I didn't understand how the cos(x)/2sin(x) would reduce to 1 if x is approaching infinity. Apparently, you have to think more conceptually to apply L'Hopital's rule.
einsteinoid

Homework Statement

Lim [2 + 3x + sin(x)] / [x + 2cos(x)]
(x->infinity)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My roommate asked me to help him solve this homework question, at first glance I noted the derivative to be:

[3 + cos(x)] / [1 - 2sin(x)]

Now, the next step I'm assuming would be to plug infinity in for x. The answer in the book says that this should reduce the equation to 3. This would mean that by substituting infinity for x, the cos(x)/2sin(x) has to reduce to 1. But if x is approaching infinity, wouldn't a sin or cos wave just go back and forth between -1 and 1 forever? How, mathematically speaking, is it justifiable to say that they'd reduce to 1?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
use the squeeze theorem and think more conceptually.
sin(x),cos(x) is on [-1,1]
so this means 2+3x+(-1)=1+3x < or =2+3x+sin(x) < or = to 2+3x+(1)=3x+3
also x+2(-1)=x-2 < or = x+2cos(x) < or = x+2(1)=x+2
then by pairing a bigger numerator to a smaller denominator, and a smaller numerator to a bigger denominator
you get
[tex]\frac{1+3x}{x+2} \leq \frac{2+3x+\sin x}{x+2\cos x} \leq \frac{3x+3}{x-2} [/tex]

Ahhh, the ol' squeeze theorem. I never think to apply that. Thanks a lot, that's a big help!

einsteinoid said:
My roommate asked me to help him solve this homework question, at first glance I noted the derivative to be:

[3 + cos(x)] / [1 - 2sin(x)]

Now, the next step I'm assuming would be to plug infinity in for x. The answer in the book says that this should reduce the equation to 3. This would mean that by substituting infinity for x, the cos(x)/2sin(x) has to reduce to 1.
No, it doesn't. You're assuming the second limit exists, which it does not.
But if x is approaching infinity, wouldn't a sin or cos wave just go back and forth between -1 and 1 forever? How, mathematically speaking, is it justifiable to say that they'd reduce to 1?
It's not. Your intuition is telling you the second limit doesn't exist, which is correct.

That's not a problem with L'Hopital's rule though. The rule says if the limit of the derivatives exists, then the original limit is equal to the limit of the derivatives. Since the limit of the derivatives doesn't exist, the rule doesn't help in this case.

1. What is the limit as x approaches infinity on a sine/cosine graph?

The limit as x approaches infinity on a sine/cosine graph is 0.

2. How do you calculate the limit as x approaches infinity on a sine/cosine graph?

To calculate the limit, you can use the fact that the sine/cosine function is periodic, meaning that it repeats itself at regular intervals. As x approaches infinity, the value of the function will keep oscillating between -1 and 1, but it will never settle on a specific value. Therefore, the limit is 0.

3. Can the limit as x approaches infinity on a sine/cosine graph ever be undefined?

No, the limit as x approaches infinity on a sine/cosine graph is always defined and equal to 0. This is because the function is continuous and has no discontinuities as x approaches infinity.

4. How does the amplitude of a sine/cosine graph affect the limit as x approaches infinity?

The amplitude of a sine/cosine graph does not affect the limit as x approaches infinity. This is because the amplitude only changes the maximum and minimum values of the function, but it does not affect the overall behavior of the function as x approaches infinity.

5. Is there a difference between the limit as x approaches infinity on a sine graph and a cosine graph?

No, there is no difference between the limit as x approaches infinity on a sine graph and a cosine graph. Both functions have the same limit of 0 as x approaches infinity. The only difference between the two is their starting point and the shape of their curves, but this does not affect the limit at infinity.