Projectile Motion: Calculating Distance Between Batter and Outfielder"

• Thread starter barthayn
  • Start date
In summary, the original distance between the batter and the outfielder was approximately 108 meters. This was calculated by finding the horizontal and vertical components of the baseball's initial velocity, determining its final velocity and time in the air, and then adding the distance traveled by the outfielder.
barthayn
This is the question:

A baseball is hit at 30m/s at an angle of 53.0o with the horizontal. Immediately, an outfielder runs at 4.00m/s toward the infield and catches the ball at the same height it was hit. What was the original distance between the batter and the outfielder?

Homework Statement

Horizontal:
v = 4.0m/s

Vertical:
a = 9.8m/s2

Homework Equations

All doing with projectile motion

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer I got was 107.838 meters.

For the baseball it is:

H = ((900sin2(53))/19.6)
H = 29.28 m

Vf2 = (30sin(53))2+(2*9.8*29.28)
Vf2 = 1138.07m2/s2
Vf = 33.88m/s

T = (60sin53)/9.8
T = 4.88s

d = 30cos53*4.88
d = 88.279m

For the running it is:
d = 4*4.88
d = 19.55 m

Dt = d1 + d2
Dt = 88.279 + 19.55
Dt = 107.838 m

Therefore the total distance between them at the start was about 108 m.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it's Ok. Your calculation of [itex] V_f [/itex] seems to be wrong, The ball will never go faster then 30 m/s. You're also not using it.

1. What is the process for determining if an answer is correct?

The process for determining if an answer is correct varies depending on the subject and the type of question being asked. In general, it involves comparing the given answer to a known correct answer, using evidence and reasoning to support the answer, and checking for any errors or mistakes along the way.

2. How can I be sure that my answer is correct?

To be sure that your answer is correct, it is important to follow the steps outlined in the process of determining correctness. Additionally, you can double check your work, ask for feedback from others, and compare your answer to other reliable sources.

3. Can there be more than one correct answer to a question?

Yes, there are some cases where there may be more than one correct answer to a question. This can occur in open-ended questions or questions where multiple approaches or perspectives can be used to arrive at a correct answer.

4. What should I do if I am unsure about the correctness of my answer?

If you are unsure about the correctness of your answer, it is important to review your work, consult with others, and seek out additional resources or information. It is also helpful to identify any specific areas of confusion and address them before finalizing your answer.

5. Why is it important to have the correct answer?

Having the correct answer is important for many reasons. It allows us to accurately understand and communicate information, make informed decisions, and build upon previous knowledge. It also helps us to identify and correct any misunderstandings or misconceptions that may exist.