Can you explain the binomial identity \sumk=0n\binom{n}{k}2=\binom{2n}{n}?

In summary, the expression ∑k=0n nCk2 = 2nCn represents the number of ways to choose n people from a group of 2n people, regardless of gender, or in other words, the number of ways to form a committee of size n from a group of 2n people. This can be seen by considering the RHS as the number of ways to choose n people from a group of n men and n women, which is the same as choosing n people from a group of 2n people.
chaotixmonjuish
[tex]\sumk=0n\binom{n}{k}2=\binom{2n}{n}[/tex]

Could someone give me a hint as to how to start this. I'm not sure how to really interpret it.

[tex](n-k)\binom{n}{k}=n\binom{n-1}{k}[/tex]
Right Side: Suppose you create a committe from [tex] \binom{n}{k} [/tex], then to pick a leader who isn't in the committee but in the pool of people, we have n-k ways.

Left Side: Suppose you have n ways to pick a leader for a group. After selecting the leader, you have n-1 people left to pick a committee of size k.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi chaotixmonjuish ! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
chaotixmonjuish said:
k=0n nCk2 = 2nCn

Could someone give me a hint as to how to start this. I'm not sure how to really interpret it.

The RHS is the number of ways of choosing n people from 2n people.

Hint: Suppose the 2n people are n men and n women. :wink:

So would the right hand side be saying that suppose we had n men and n women, there are n ways to form a committee consisitng of both men and women.

chaotixmonjuish said:
So would the right hand side be saying that suppose we had n men and n women, there are n ways to form a committee consisitng of both men and women.

uhhh? :confused:

the RHS is the same number, no matter how many men (or women) there are.

Uh oh, ha ha, now I'm confused...I feel like this binomial identiy has some really easy RHS.

Does it just count the number of ways to form a committee size of n from 2n people?

chaotixmonjuish said:
Does it just count the number of ways to form a committee size of n from 2n people?

Yup! :biggrin:

Now … pretend the 2n people are n men and n women :wink:

Okay, so does it still mean n people regardless of gender?

chaotixmonjuish said:
Okay, so does it still mean n people regardless of gender?

Yes … the RHS is still the same …

we wouldn't muck around with that! :rolleyes:

What is a binomial identity?

A binomial identity is a mathematical equation that relates the coefficients of the terms in a binomial expansion. It is often used in probability and combinatorics to calculate the likelihood of certain outcomes or combinations.

What is the formula for a binomial identity?

The formula for a binomial identity is (a + b)^n = ∑(k=0 to n) (n choose k) a^(n-k) * b^k, where n is a non-negative integer, (n choose k) is the binomial coefficient, and a and b are variables.

How does a binomial identity differ from a binomial theorem?

A binomial identity is an equation that relates the coefficients of the terms in a binomial expansion, while a binomial theorem is a formula that allows for the expansion of a binomial expression raised to a power. In other words, a binomial identity is a specific type of binomial theorem.

What are some real-world applications of binomial identities?

Binomial identities have various applications in fields such as genetics, statistics, and economics. For example, they can be used to calculate the probability of certain genetic traits being passed down from parents to offspring or to predict stock market trends based on historical data.

Are there any limitations to using binomial identities?

While binomial identities are useful in many mathematical and scientific applications, they do have some limitations. For instance, they can only be used for binomial expansions, and they may not accurately predict outcomes in situations with a large number of variables or unknown factors.