Inductive proof of a binomial series

In summary, Pascal's identity says that for non-negative integers, {n \choose i} = {n - 1 \choose i - 1} + {n - 1 \choose i}
lynchu

Homework Statement

Use mathematical induction and Pascal's Identity to prove:

[tex]\binom{n}{0} - \binom{n}{1} + \binom{n}{2} - ... + (-1)^{k}\binom{n}{k} = (-1)^{k}\binom{n-1}{k}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I guess this means something like:
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{k}(-1)^{i}\binom{n}{i} = (-1)^{k}\binom{n-1}{k}[/tex]

But after that I'm stumped (as with any inductive proof with sums of binomials)... I can't see how my usual strategy would work. i.e. Figure out what n+1 would contribute to the left hand side, add it to the right side and work my way through algebraically.

Help with this would be very appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Am I missing something? When k= 0 that says
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}n \\ 0\end{pmatrix}= (-1)^0\begin{pmatrix}n-1 \\ 0\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
which is not true, the left side is n and the right n-1.

For k= 1,
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}n \\ 0\end{pmatrix}- \begin{pmatrix}n \\ 1\end{pmatrix}= n- (n- 1)= 1[/tex]
but
[tex](-1)^1\begin{pmatrix}n-1 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}= -(n-2)= 2- n[/tex]

But [tex]\binom{n}{0} = \binom{n-1}{0} = 1[/tex]

It's the number of 0-element subsets of an n-elements set. Which is 1, because there's only the empty set.

Well, the problem statement says to use Pascal's identity. What is that identity?

Sorry, forgot to include that. Pascal's Identity is:

[tex]\binom{n+1}{k} = \binom{n}{k-1} + \binom{n}{k}[/tex] for non-negative n's.

OK, so apply Pascal's identity to the binomial coefficient for each [itex]i[/itex] in the sum:

[tex]{n \choose i} = {n - 1 \choose i - 1} + {n - 1 \choose i}[/tex]

(However, be careful: this doesn't make any sense for [itex]i = 0[/itex]. So you will need to handle that term separately. Similarly, watch out if [itex]n = i[/itex].)

Then split the sum into two sums. You can apply the inductive hypothesis directly to the sum involving

[tex]{n - 1 \choose i}[/tex]

and you can do the same with the other sum

[tex]{n - 1 \choose i - 1}[/tex]

after a change of variables.

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch.
That's just about what I needed. :)

Related to Inductive proof of a binomial series

1. What is an inductive proof of a binomial series?

An inductive proof of a binomial series is a method of proving a mathematical statement about a binomial series using induction. Induction is a mathematical technique that involves proving that a statement is true for a specific case, and then showing that it must also be true for the next case, and so on.

2. How does an inductive proof work?

An inductive proof works by starting with a base case, which is the simplest case of the statement, and showing that it is true. Then, using a mathematical argument, it is shown that if the statement is true for the base case, it must also be true for the next case. This process is repeated until the statement is proven to be true for all cases.

3. Why is an inductive proof useful for a binomial series?

An inductive proof is useful for a binomial series because it allows us to prove a statement about the series for all possible cases, rather than just a few specific cases. This makes it a powerful tool for proving mathematical statements that involve binomial series.

4. What are the steps involved in an inductive proof of a binomial series?

The steps involved in an inductive proof of a binomial series are as follows:
1. Begin by stating the statement that you want to prove.
2. Identify the base case, which is usually the simplest case of the statement.
3. Show that the statement is true for the base case.
4. Use a mathematical argument to show that if the statement is true for the base case, it must also be true for the next case.
5. Repeat this process until the statement is proven to be true for all cases.

5. Are there any limitations to using an inductive proof for a binomial series?

Yes, there are some limitations to using an inductive proof for a binomial series. It may not be applicable for all types of binomial series, and it may also be more difficult to use for more complex statements. In addition, the proof may not be easily verifiable or understandable for those without a strong mathematical background.