Diverging Lens and Concave Mirror

In summary, the problem involves a concave mirror with a radius of curvature of 20.0 cm and a diverging lens with a focal length of 16.7 cm. An object is placed between the two at a distance of 25.0 cm from the lens. Using ray diagrams, the image formed by the mirror is found to be 50 cm away, and the final image formed by the lens/mirror system is 12.52 cm away. It is unclear whether the final image is real or virtual, as it may be counteracted by the diverging lens.
dorthod
Can someone get me started on this, I know how to work a diverging lens and a concave mirror, just not together. The problem:

A concave mirror with a radius of curvature of 20.0 cm is placed 25.0 cm from a diverging lens with a focal length of 16.7 cm. An object is placed midway between the lens and the mirror. Image you are looking through the lens and considering only the light that leaves the object and travels first to the mirror:
a. Locate the image formed by the mirror(which becomes a virtual object for the lens) by using a ray diagram, and then verify that image distance with the lens equation.
b. Locate the final image formed by the lens/mirror system, using a ray diagram, and then verify that image distance with the lens equation.
c. Is this image real or virtual? Explain why this is not such a simple answer.

----------------------------
Here's what I can do:
a)1/10 = 1/Si + 1/12.5(not sure though about 12.5)
50cm = Si

b)1/16.7 = 1/Si - 1/50(assuming part a is correct)
12.52 = Si

c) No clue

Image I cooked up:
http://home.earthlink.net/~emerson6/lensmirror.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Slightly OT but shouldn't the lens be lenticular?

Why don't you try tracing a couple of rays off of the mirror?

Attempted ray-tracing:
http://home.earthlink.net/~emerson6/lensmirror2.GIF

I agree with 50 cm being the [tex]d_{i}[/tex] from the mirror. In your ray diagram you may want to place the object on the median line that runs through the vertex of both the mirror and the lens.

Secondly you should reexamine your equation (2). You have the object - which in this case the image of the mirror - at 50 cm from the lens. I don't believe this is true. If the image formed by the mirror is 50 cm from the mirror, it's actually located 25 cm PAST the lens, right? That means the image from the mirror has has not converged by the time the light rays meet the diverging lens.

See this image (it's rough but it'll do):
http://copperplug.no-ip.org/homesite/Lens.gif

I'm wondering if part C of this question hints at the fact that the diverging lens exactly counteracts the converging of the mirror, thus never actually forming a final image. If all the rays are parallel when they leave this lens this is what will happen.

1. What is the difference between a diverging lens and a concave mirror?

A diverging lens is a transparent material that is thicker at the edges and thinner in the middle, causing light rays to spread out or diverge. A concave mirror, on the other hand, is a reflective surface that curves inward and can converge light rays to a single point.

2. How does a diverging lens affect the image of an object?

A diverging lens will always produce a virtual, upright, and smaller image of an object. This is because the light rays are spread out and do not actually meet at a single point.

3. Can a concave mirror produce a magnified image?

Yes, a concave mirror can produce a magnified image when the object is placed within the focal length of the mirror. This is because the light rays are reflected and converge to a single point, creating a larger image.

4. How is the focal length of a diverging lens determined?

The focal length of a diverging lens is determined by the curvature of the lens and the refractive index of the material it is made of. It can also be calculated using the lens maker's formula, which takes into account the radius of curvature and the refractive index.

5. What is the difference between a real and virtual image in a concave mirror?

A real image is formed when the light rays actually converge at a point, and it can be projected onto a screen. A virtual image, on the other hand, is formed when the light rays only appear to converge, and it cannot be projected onto a screen.