Can I Make Copper Gluconate with Calcium, Zinc, Ferrous & Copper Wires?

• Thread starter MadM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Copper
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of making copper gluconate using calcium gluconate, zinc gluconate, ferrous gluconate, and copper wires. It is determined that these substances are not suitable for creating copper gluconate and that other methods would be necessary. It is also mentioned that the use of chlorinated drinking water may result in the formation of copper chloride, a different substance. Ultimately, it is suggested to use pure water with gluconate ions and specific electrodes to successfully produce copper gluconate.
MadM
Hi
I only have very few materials which are (calcium gluconate , zinc gluconate , ferrous gluconate ) and copper wires
can i make copper gluconate using these?
help please

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Your first problem will be with dissolving copper, you need a relatively strong oxidizer for that - none of the substances mentioned will work.

what if i use copper electrodes in water then put some zinc gluconate ? will this work

No, unless you find a way to precipitate zinc from the solution. Do you know how the double replacement reaction (AKA metathesis) works? Do you know how it works in solutions? Do you know what the net ionic reaction is?

Last edited:
No. Sadly I'm a newb. I'm trying to make any copper salt (not hydroxide or cholride) I've tried electrolysis on drinking water with copper electrodes,it gave blue solution then after a while green precipitate . what are these salts carbonate? hydroxide?

Most likely basic carbonate (so neither carbonate nor hydroxide, but something in between).

If it was chlorinated drinking water, a blue solution with green+white precipitate sounds like copper chloride.
To make copper gluconate it would probably be easiest to use pure water with gluconate ions and copper and zinc electrodes, with excess zinc gluconate dissolved. Applying a current would move the zinc cations onto the zinc electrode, while moving the gluconate onto the copper electrode while moving some copper ions into solution.

zuloo37 said:
If it was chlorinated drinking water, a blue solution with green+white precipitate sounds like copper chloride

There is not enough Cl- in chlorinated water for copper chloride in substantial amounts.

To make copper gluconate it would probably be easiest to use pure water with gluconate ions and copper and zinc electrodes, with excess zinc gluconate dissolved. Applying a current would move the zinc cations onto the zinc electrode, while moving the gluconate onto the copper electrode while moving some copper ions into solution.

No, that will not work. Once you have even traces of copper in the solution it will deposit preferentially on the cathode, leaving zinc in the solution. That's what reactivity series is about. You can't remove zinc as long as there are less reactive metals present (in fact looking at reduction potentials you should expect hydrogen evolving instead of zinc deposition even in the solution with no other ions).

1. Can I make copper gluconate by combining calcium, zinc, ferrous, and copper wires together?

Yes, it is possible to make copper gluconate by combining these wires together. However, the process may require additional steps and equipment to ensure the proper combination and reaction of the elements.

2. Is it safe to handle copper gluconate made from these wires?

While copper gluconate itself is generally safe to handle, it is important to take proper safety precautions when working with any type of chemicals or wires. Make sure to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and handle the wires with caution to avoid any accidents.

3. How long does it take to make copper gluconate with these wires?

The time it takes to make copper gluconate with these wires will vary depending on the specific process and equipment used. It could take anywhere from a few hours to a few days.

4. What is the purpose of using these specific wires to make copper gluconate?

The specific combination of calcium, zinc, ferrous, and copper wires is used to create a reaction that results in the production of copper gluconate. These elements are commonly used in the production of this compound and help to ensure its purity and effectiveness.

5. Can I use other types of wires to make copper gluconate?

While it is possible to use other types of wires in the process, it is recommended to use the specific combination of calcium, zinc, ferrous, and copper wires for the best results. Other types of wires may not produce the same level of purity or may not react in the same way, resulting in a less effective product.