Understanding Area in polar coordinates

In summary, when working with intersecting polar curves, it is necessary to double the integral in order to accurately calculate the area of the enclosed region.
ttiger2k7
One of the problems I am working on is confusing me.

Given r=2cos(theta) and r=2sin(theta), you get a graph with two circles intersecting each other at pi/4.

So I worked it out, using the Area of a Polar Region formula.

[tex]\int\frac{1}{2}\pi*r^{2}[/tex]. When I got an answer, I checked and saw that it was incorrect. I noticed in the solutions guide that when they had started, they doubled the integral before working it out. That is the part the confused me. Why would you want to double the integral in this case? The enclosed region is all contained in one quadrant, so wouldn't just integrating from 0 to pi/4 be sufficient?

I'd like some help understanding this.

Attachments

• polar.GIF
    polar.GIF
    1 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
When you double the integral, you are adding up both circles. The formula for the area of a polar region is \int\frac{1}{2}\pi*r^{2}, but this only works for one circle. When two circles intersect each other, you need to add up both circles, so you double the integral. This is because the area of the enclosed region is the sum of the areas of both circles. So by doubling the integral, you are able to calculate the area of the entire region inside the two circles.

FAQ: Understanding Area in polar coordinates

1. What is the definition of area in polar coordinates?

The area in polar coordinates is the measure of the space enclosed by a curve in the polar plane. It is calculated by integrating the function r(θ) with respect to θ from the starting angle to the ending angle.

2. How do you convert a polar equation to rectangular coordinates?

To convert a polar equation to rectangular coordinates, you can use the following formulas: x = rcos(θ) and y = rsin(θ). These formulas represent the x and y coordinates of a point on the curve in the polar plane.

3. What is the relationship between polar and rectangular coordinates?

Polar and rectangular coordinates are two different ways of representing the same point in the Cartesian plane. The polar coordinates (r, θ) represent the distance from the origin and the angle from the positive x-axis, while the rectangular coordinates (x, y) represent the horizontal and vertical distance from the origin.

4. How do you find the area of a polar region?

To find the area of a polar region, you can use the formula A = ½∫θβ [r(θ)]² dθ, where θ is the starting angle and β is the ending angle. This formula is derived from the definition of area in polar coordinates.

5. Can the area of a polar region be negative?

No, the area of a polar region cannot be negative. It represents the amount of space enclosed by a curve, and therefore, it is always a positive value. However, the sign of the integral may change depending on the orientation of the curve.