Region bounded by a line and a parabola (polar coordinates)

In summary, the author found the points of intersection for a region bounded by a curve and a parabola, but is not sure what to do with the line.
Poetria

Homework Statement

##r=\frac 1 {cos(\theta)+1}##
y=-x

A region bounded by this curve and parabola is to be found.

2. The attempt at a solution

I have found the points of intersection but I am not sure what to do with the line (I need polar coordinates and it is not dependent on r :( )

This is my solution (but it is wrong :( )

integral [-pi/4, 3*pi/4] (1/2*((1/(cos(theta)+1))^2-(-pi/4)^2))

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you make a sketch ?
A line like y = -x is simply described as ##\theta = -{\pi\over 4}## in polar coordinates ...

Now that you have found the region, are you done ? Or was the problem statement that you had to find the area as well ?

Likes Poetria
BvU said:
Did you make a sketch ?
A line like y = -x is simply described as ##\theta = -{\pi\over 4}## in polar coordinates ...

Now that you have found the region, are you done ? Or was the problem statement that you had to find the area as well ?

The task is to find an integral with boundaries (area of the region) - it is not required to compute it.
Well, I understand that ##\theta= \frac {-\pi} 4## hm but something is wrong with my solution.
Oh yes, I made a sketch. :(

Another piece of information: limits of integration in the range (-pi, pi).

Last edited:
Poetria said:
I made a sketch. :(
Can't see it. Mine looks just fine. What are you going to integrate and with what bounds ?

Likes Poetria
Poetria said:
Another piece of information: limits of integration in the range (-pi, pi).
Big deal. We already have this ##-{\pi\over 4}## and the other point can only have ##+{3\pi\over 4}## because it is on the line too...

Likes Poetria
BvU said:
Can't see it. Mine looks just fine. What are you going to integrate and with what bounds ?

This is the integral I already posted (but not in Latex):

integral [-pi/4, 3*pi/4] (1/2*((1/(cos(theta)+1))^2-(-pi/4)^2))
bounds: ##-\frac \pi 4, \frac {3*\pi} 4##

Ok, so the bounds are fine.
Poetria said:
(1/2*((1/(cos(theta)+1))^2-(-pi/4)^2))
What's that ?

Likes Poetria
BvU said:
Big deal. We already have this ##-{\pi\over 4}## and the other point can only have ##+{3\pi\over 4}## because it is on the line too...

Ha ha right but I am maniacally checking everything.

BvU said:
Ok, so the bounds are fine.
What's that ?

dA=1/2*r^2 dtheta

So I tried to subtract a piece of the parabola squared from the line (but here I have a problem - no r).

You are not wrong with trying to subtract the line, but it is easier than you seem to think: the line goes though the origin. That is where r=0. So the integration over ##dr## runs from 0 to ##r(\theta)## . And that's easy, because in the relationship:
dA=1/2*r^2 dtheta
the integration over ##dr## (the area of a narrow pie ##d\theta## from 0 to ##r(\theta)##) has already been carried out.
So formally you are done according to the problem statement.
I am maniacally checking everything
It would be a very good exercise to also carry out the integration and compare with an integration over ##dy## in the x-y plane :rolleyes:

Likes Poetria
BvU said:
You are not wrong with trying to subtract the line, but it is easier than you seem to think: the line goes though the origin. That is where r=0. So the integration over ##dr## runs from 0 to ##r(\theta)## . And that's easy, because in the relationship:
the integration over ##dr## (the area of a narrow pie ##d\theta## from 0 to ##r(\theta)##) has already been carried out.
So formally you are done according to the problem statement.

It would be a very good exercise to also carry out the integration and compare with an integration over ##dy## in the x-y plane :rolleyes:

I got:
the equation for the parabola: ##x^2+y^2=(1-x)^2##

integral [1-sqrt(2), sqrt(2)+1] (1/2*(1-y^2)+y)
this is 1.8856 (the same result!)

Many thanks. :)

Last edited:
You're welcome. Well done !

(can't say I understand the ##x^2 + y^2 = 1-x^2##)

Likes Poetria
Poetria said:
I got:
the equation for the parabola: ##x^2+y^2={1-x}^2##

What you meant was correct, but it wasn't written correctly in LaTeX. Here's what you surely intended:
##x^2+y^2=(1-x)^2##; i.e., using parentheses around 1 - x, not braces.

If you expand the right side you get ##x^2 + y^2 = 1 - 2x + x^2 \Rightarrow y^2 = 1 - 2x##

Likes Poetria
Mark44 said:
What you meant was correct, but it wasn't written correctly in LaTeX. Here's what you surely intended:
##x^2+y^2=(1-x)^2##; i.e., using parentheses around 1 - x, not braces.

If you expand the right side you get ##x^2 + y^2 = 1 - 2x + x^2 \Rightarrow y^2 = 1 - 2x##

Right. I need more practice in Latex. It was also complicated to write an integral. :(
Many thanks. :) I understand everything now.

Ha I have used wrong brackets {} and not (). :( It is corrected now.

It's not really that complicated, especially since you already know quite a bit of LaTeX -- \int for an indefinite integral, and \int_a^b for definite integral.
Keep in mind that if either integration limit is more than one character, you need braces.
For example ##\int_{\theta = \pi/4}^{3\pi/4}\cos(\theta)d\theta##
In unrendered form: ##\int_{\theta = \pi/4}^{3\pi/4}\cos(\theta)d\theta##

Last edited:
Likes Poetria
Mark44 said:
It's not really that complicated, especially since you already know quite a bit of LaTeX -- \int for an indefinite integral, and \int_a^b for definite integral.
Keep in mind that if either integration limit is more than one character, you need braces.
For example ##\int_{\theta = \pi/4}^{3\pi/4}\cos(\theta)d\theta##

Thank you so much. :) I did it just for practice (well I did have to correct it several times ;) )

##\int_{\theta=-\frac {\pi} 4}^{\frac {3{\pi}} 4} {\frac 1 2} \frac 1 {({\cos(\theta)+1})^2} d\theta##

Mark44 said:
Hei Mark44, how did you manage to post it in unrendered form. Seems like you didn't miss anything so PF should have rendered it because you put it inside ##.

Likes Poetria
kent davidge said:
Hei Mark44, how did you manage to post it in unrendered form. Seems like you didn't miss anything so PF should have rendered it because you put it inside ##.
I tricked the browser by making the first # of the start and end tags a different color. That's enough so that the browser doesn't recognize the # pairs.

Here's what the raw text looks like --
In unrendered form: [COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]#[/COLOR]#\int_{\theta = \pi/4}^{3\pi/4}\cos(\theta)d\theta[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]#[/COLOR]#
I've done the same trick on the two pairs of BBCode color tags, so that they don't get gobbled up by the browser. BTW, the color I used is black, the same as the other text.

Likes kent davidge
Oh cool
BTW, the color I used is black, the same as the other text
If you didn't said that, I would think about it.. How did he use different colors if his output is all in black? :cool:

Dunno, it goes by itself ##see ## and ##see##

Compare in line math (##) ##\int_{\theta=-\frac {\pi} 4}^{\frac {3{\pi}} 4} {\frac 1 2} \frac 1 {({\cos(\theta)+1})^2} d\theta\ ## with displaystyle ($$)
$$\int_{\theta=-\frac {\pi} 4}^{\frac {3{\pi}} 4}\ { \frac 1 2} \frac 1 {({\cos(\theta)+1})^2} \ d\theta$$

1. What is the equation for the region bounded by a line and a parabola in polar coordinates?

The equation for the region bounded by a line and a parabola in polar coordinates is r = a + bθ, where a and b are constants and θ is the angle measured from the polar axis.

2. How do you graph the region bounded by a line and a parabola in polar coordinates?

To graph the region bounded by a line and a parabola in polar coordinates, plot points with coordinates (r, θ) that satisfy the equation r = a + bθ. Then, connect the points to form the desired shape.

3. How do you find the area of the region bounded by a line and a parabola in polar coordinates?

To find the area of the region bounded by a line and a parabola in polar coordinates, you can use the formula A = 1/2 ∫(b-a)^2(r^2)dθ, where a and b are the angles that define the region and r is the distance from the origin to the curve at each angle θ.

4. Can the region bounded by a line and a parabola in polar coordinates have a negative area?

No, the region bounded by a line and a parabola in polar coordinates cannot have a negative area. The area is always positive as it represents the magnitude of the enclosed region.

5. How does the shape of the region bounded by a line and a parabola in polar coordinates change as the constants a and b are varied?

As the constants a and b are varied, the shape of the region bounded by a line and a parabola in polar coordinates changes. If a is increased, the region will shift away from the origin, while if b is increased, the region will become wider or narrower depending on the sign of b. Changing both a and b will result in a change in the overall size and orientation of the region.