Can I apply for an EE Masters degree with a Computer Science BS?

In summary, the person dropped out of an Electrical Engineering major at their old school and will now be studying Computer Science at a different school. They are worried about their chances of getting into an EE Masters program since they did not finish basic EE courses at their old school. They are considering studying physics on their own in addition to their CS degree in order to improve their chances of being accepted into an EE Masters program. However, they are also interested in nanotechnology and recognize the need for physics knowledge in that field. They mention the possibility of transferring to a school with an EE program, but currently do not have that option.
KCL
I dropped out of an Electrical Engineering major in my old school, and now I'll be studying Computer Science in another school.

Does this pretty much leave me stuck in CS for a Masters? I didn't even finish the basic EE stuff in my old school, like the introduction to circuit analysis stuff and whatever.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course you can apply.

The odds of your acceptance go up (and the amount of remedial material you will need to take) the more EE electives you take (and do well in) at your new school.

That's the problem - there aren't any EE classes in this school. That's why I'm stuck with CS. For what it's worth it might be possible to get a math minor.

I'm thinking about personally studying physics and taking the GRE for it in a couple of years, when I finish the CS degree. It's not EE but a lot of EE requires physics as far as I know, especially at the Masters level... right? It's also the closest thing to hardware I can get to. My assumption is that doing that on my own should be an accomplishment in itself.

What's really worrying though is that applying for an EE Masters might not work and a CS Masters might, so I'll be taking a risk with every school I'll apply to. Unless of course I can apply for two different programs and the school let's me know about their acceptance regarding each one, heh. :p

I don't think taking a lot of physics will improve your chances for being admitted to a MSEE program with a BSCS degree. If you really want to be a EE, you might seriously consider transferring to a school with a EE program.

It's not EE but a lot of EE requires physics as far as I know, especially at the Masters level... right?
That depends. What area in EE do you want to work on?

Vanadium 50 said:
I don't think taking a lot of physics will improve your chances for being admitted to a MSEE program with a BSCS degree. If you really want to be a EE, you might seriously consider transferring to a school with a EE program.
I messed up at my previous school really bad so I don't have any other options right now. =\

Manchot said:
That depends. What area in EE do you want to work on?
I honestly don't know... Maybe computing or communications... What I find really interesting though is nanotechnology, in particular where it meets with EE. Like making transistors on the molecular level and stuff like that.

KCL said:
What I find really interesting though is nanotechnology, in particular where it meets with EE. Like making transistors on the molecular level and stuff like that.
Well, then you'll definitely need to learn physics.

1. Can I apply for an EE Masters degree with a Computer Science BS?

Yes, it is possible to apply for an EE Masters degree with a Computer Science BS. Many universities offer interdisciplinary programs that allow students to combine their background in computer science with studies in electrical engineering.

2. Do I need to have a background in electrical engineering to apply for an EE Masters degree?

No, having a background in electrical engineering is not a requirement for applying to an EE Masters degree program. However, having some foundational knowledge in the field can be helpful in understanding the coursework and concepts.

3. Will I need to take additional courses before applying for an EE Masters degree?

This will depend on the specific program and university. Some programs may require students to have taken certain prerequisite courses in electrical engineering before applying. It is best to check with the program or university you are interested in to determine their requirements.

4. Can I work in the field of electrical engineering with a Computer Science BS?

Yes, having a degree in computer science can provide you with a strong foundation in problem-solving, critical thinking, and programming skills that are highly valuable in the field of electrical engineering. You may also choose to pursue a career in a related field such as software engineering or embedded systems development.

5. How can I best prepare for an EE Masters degree program with a Computer Science BS?

To prepare for an EE Masters degree program with a Computer Science BS, it is recommended to strengthen your knowledge in key areas of electrical engineering such as circuit analysis, electronics, and digital systems. You may also want to gain practical experience through internships or research opportunities. Additionally, it can be helpful to familiarize yourself with common programming languages and tools used in the field of electrical engineering.