Existentialism Reading: Sarte, Kierkegaard, Nietzshe, Husserl

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
In summary: My roommate who is a philosophy major said that there is a difference between 'literary' existentialism and 'intellectual' existentialism. I read Dostoevsky's The Brother's Karamazov, which is often considered an early example of existentialism. Sartre is known as the champion of intellectual existentialism and his works such as 'No Exit' are recommended reads. Camus, on the other hand, offers a literary perspective on existentialism and is also a great source for understanding the philosophy. In summary, recommended readings for gaining an understanding of existentialism include works by Sarte, Kierkegaard, Nietzshe, Husserl, Dostoevsky, and Camus.
I have gained an interest in learning a bit of the existential attitude and would like to hear if anyone has recommended readings. So far I've read papers by Sarte, Kierkegaard, Nietzshe and Husserl. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
My roommate who is a philosophy major said that there is a difference between 'literary' existentialism and 'intellectual' existentialism. What that definition is precisely is for him to know and for me to have passed through one ear and out the other :) .

I read Dostoevsky's The Brother's Karamazov (which is supposedly an early example of existentialism). In fact, most people place the beginning of existentialism with him, but I think that is more for his Notes from the Underground and Dream of a Ridiculous Man. I would check out the latter two especially, because they are much shorter (TBK is around 700 pages, NU is like 60 and DRM is a short story of like 15 pages).

Sartre's supposedly the champion of intellectual existentialism, so good choice there :) . Supposedly 'No Exit' by him is good. Have you heard of 'Waiting for Godot'? I don't think it's Sartre but that is also a good one for existentialism.

This depends on what you want to get out of reading. Camus is an excellent source for existentialism because it is from a literary perspective. There are many different approaches and what is important is the message not the medium.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I have gained an interest in learning a bit of the existential attitude and would like to hear if anyone has recommended readings. So far I've read papers by Sarte, Kierkegaard, Nietzshe and Husserl. Thanks!

What is existentialism?

Existentialism is a philosophical movement that emphasizes individual freedom, choice, and personal responsibility. It explores the meaning and purpose of human existence and the individual's experience of the world.

Who are some key existentialist philosophers?

Some key existentialist philosophers include Jean-Paul Sartre, Søren Kierkegaard, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Edmund Husserl. Each of these thinkers contributed unique perspectives and ideas to the development of existentialism.

What are some common themes in existentialist readings?

Common themes in existentialist readings include the search for meaning and purpose in life, the individual's struggle with freedom and choice, and the anxiety and despair that can arise from confronting the human condition.

How does existentialism differ from other philosophical movements?

Existentialism differs from other philosophical movements in that it focuses on the individual's subjective experience and rejects the idea of universal truths or values. It also places a strong emphasis on personal responsibility and the importance of individual choice.

How can existentialist readings be applied to daily life?

Existentialist readings can be applied to daily life by encouraging individuals to take responsibility for their choices and actions, to live authentically and embrace their individuality, and to find meaning and purpose in their own existence rather than relying on external sources.