Maximizing Success in Calculus Course: Balancing Understanding and Practice

In summary, it is important to both understand the concepts and practice solving problems in order to succeed in a Calculus course. Doing only the assigned work may not be enough, so it is recommended to do additional practice problems if needed. It is also suggested to read the material before and after class to solidify understanding. Ultimately, both understanding and practice are necessary for success in the course.
BioCore
I am currently taking a basic Calculus course, well actually its an advanced class in university. I was wondering if you could advise, as to what would be better. Would it be better that I try to fully understand all the concepts in the course and do a moderate amount of questions for homework or practice, or would it be better to do as many questions as possible and just get the hang of concepts so I can try and pass.

Currently everyone tells me to do only the assigned work, which I take would mean that I should understand all the questions first. So what is your advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
BioCore said:
I am currently taking a basic Calculus course, well actually its an advanced class in university. I was wondering if you could advise, as to what would be better. Would it be better that I try to fully understand all the concepts in the course and do a moderate amount of questions for homework or practice, or would it be better to do as many questions as possible and just get the hang of concepts so I can try and pass.

Currently everyone tells me to do only the assigned work, which I take would mean that I should understand all the questions first. So what is your advice.

You should probably do as many problems as are necessary for you to understand the concepts. If you need to do more problems than are assigned, that is certainly fine (and not uncommon).

Yeah whatever works for you the best. The goal is to understand the topic/concepts, so however many problems you need to do for that to sink in is what you should do.

Speaking from personal experience I usually read the entire chapter/unit my class is working on before we start it in class. Then I go back and re-read it all again afterwards, and usually the concepts have sunk in and problems sets are pretty straight forward from there. Just one suggestion^^

Just learning the concepts as much as possible is great until you get a test asking for mainly applications of what you know. If its really an advanced calc course then you may be tested on proofs and such but I imagine it will still be mostly applications, ie. you may have one or 2 questions like state and prove the mean value theorem, but most will be find the 1st, 2nd and third derivatives of the following function... or calculate these given integrals...

what I am saying is that generally doing the assigned homework should help you learn the concepts but also prepare you for the test.

The two are not mutually exclusive: understanding the concepts means precisely being able to solve problems and solving problems will help you understand the concepts.

1. What is the best way to balance understanding and practice in a calculus course?

In order to maximize success in a calculus course, it is important to strike a balance between understanding the concepts and practicing problem solving. This can be achieved by actively engaging in class lectures and discussions, seeking clarification on any confusing topics, and consistently practicing problem sets and exercises.

2. How often should I practice calculus problems?

It is recommended to practice calculus problems on a regular basis, at least a few times per week. This will help reinforce your understanding of the concepts and improve your problem-solving skills. It is also important to practice a variety of problems, including both theoretical and real-world application problems.

3. Is it more important to understand the concepts or memorize formulas in calculus?

Both understanding the concepts and memorizing formulas are important for success in a calculus course. It is crucial to have a solid understanding of the underlying principles in order to effectively apply the formulas. However, some formulas may need to be memorized in order to solve problems efficiently.

4. How can I improve my understanding of calculus concepts?

One of the best ways to improve understanding of calculus concepts is to actively participate in class discussions and ask questions when something is unclear. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources, such as online tutorials or study groups, to reinforce your understanding.

5. What should I do if I am struggling in a calculus course?

If you are struggling in a calculus course, it is important to seek help early on. Talk to your instructor, attend office hours, and consider finding a tutor or joining a study group. It is also important to stay organized, attend all classes and complete assignments on time, and consistently practice problems to improve your skills.