Dual degree (BEng/BSc) - most useful science major?

In summary, the person is interested in pursuing chemical engineering and a double degree with a bachelor of science at university. They are seeking advice on which major to choose, with possible interests in biochemistry, molecular biology, biomedical science, chemistry, maths, and physics. Their primary interests within chemical engineering are working in the biochemical/biomedical, pharmaceutical, or fuels industry.
MourningTide
Hi guys I am interested in studying chemical engineering at university next year and also want to do a double degree with a bachelor of science.
However I am having a hard time deciding what major would be the most useful...any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Possible Majors (that interest me):
Biochemistry and Molecular biology
Biomedical science
Chemistry
Maths
Physics

My primary interests as a chemical engineer will be working in the biochemical/biomedical, pharmaceutical or fuels industry.
Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
MourningTide said:
Hi guys I am interested in studying chemical engineering at university next year and also want to do a double degree with a bachelor of science.

Why?

I understand your dilemma in trying to choose the most useful major for your dual degree. Each of the majors you mentioned have their own unique strengths and applications in the field of chemical engineering. Ultimately, the most useful major for you will depend on your specific career goals and interests.

If you are interested in working in the biochemical or biomedical industry, a major in biochemistry and molecular biology or biomedical science would be most relevant. These majors will provide you with a strong understanding of the biological processes involved in the production of pharmaceuticals and other medical products.

On the other hand, if you are more interested in working in the pharmaceutical industry, a major in chemistry would be a good choice. This major will give you a strong foundation in understanding the chemical processes involved in drug development and production.

If you are interested in pursuing a career in research and development, a major in physics or mathematics can also be beneficial. These majors will provide you with strong analytical and problem-solving skills that are highly valued in the industry.

Ultimately, the most important factor in choosing a major should be your passion and interest in the subject. Consider taking courses in each of the majors to get a better understanding of which one you enjoy the most. You can also speak to academic advisors or professionals in the industry to gain insight into the skills and knowledge that are most valuable in your desired field. Good luck with your decision!

1. What is a dual degree program?

A dual degree program is an academic program that allows students to pursue two different degrees at the same time. In this case, it is a combination of a Bachelor of Engineering (BEng) and a Bachelor of Science (BSc) in a chosen science major.

2. How long does it take to complete a dual degree in BEng/BSc?

The duration of a dual degree program can vary, but on average it takes around 5 years to complete both degrees. This may vary depending on the specific requirements of the program and the pace at which the student completes their coursework.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a dual degree in BEng/BSc?

There are several benefits to pursuing a dual degree in BEng/BSc. Firstly, it allows students to gain a broad range of knowledge and skills in both engineering and a science major, making them more versatile and marketable in the job market. Additionally, it can also save time and money as students can complete two degrees in a shorter time period. It also opens up opportunities for interdisciplinary research and career paths.

4. Which science major is the most useful to pair with a BEng?

The most useful science major to pair with a BEng depends on the individual's career goals and interests. However, some popular and in-demand science majors include computer science, physics, and environmental science. It is important for students to research and choose a major that aligns with their interests and future career aspirations.

5. Can I pursue a dual degree in BEng/BSc at any university?

Not all universities offer dual degree programs in BEng/BSc, so it is important to research and find universities that offer this program. Additionally, each university may have different requirements and course offerings, so it is important to carefully review and compare programs before making a decision.