Representing a wave as a complex number.

In summary, the argument for representing a wave as a complex number is that it is easier to manipulate exponentials than sines. However, this notation is used to derive formulae, not to perform calculations.
Fallen Seraph
[SOLVED] Representing a wave as a complex number.

I'm just a bit confused as to the validity of representing the equation of a wave or oscillatory motion as a complex number. As is my understanding the argument for doing so goes thus:

Assuming our amplitude is 1, our equation is:

[tex]y(t) = cos ( \omega t)[/tex]

Which we can write as

[tex] cos ( \omega t) = [Re] exp(i \omega t)[/tex]

Which it certainly is. but then people seem to go on to manipulate [tex][Re] exp(i \omega t)[/tex] as if it were simply [tex]exp(i \omega t)[/tex] and then consider the answers correct. For example my lecturers appear to be squaring [tex]exp(i \omega t)[/tex] as if it were [tex] = cos( \omega t)[/tex]. Which, as far as I can tell, reduces to absurdity quite quickly:

[tex] cos( \omega t) = exp(i \omega t)

\Rightarrow

cos ( \omega t) = cos ( \omega t) + iSin( \omega t)

\Rightarrow

cos^2 ( \omega t) = cos^2 ( \omega t) - sin^2 ( \omega t) +2iCos( \omega t)Sin( \omega t)
[/tex]

The real part of the right side is clearly not equal to the real part of the left side. And so, I don't understand how [tex]exp(i \omega t)[/tex] can be used, usefully, to describe a wave.

Physics news on Phys.org
is this done in the context of electrical engineering?
clearly, by setting R cos(x) to be equivalent to R exp(ix) is just a way to simplify computation/algebraic manipulation, it is probably understood that what is important about the use of R exp(ix) is not the actual function itself, but the information carried by R and x.

mjsd said:
is this done in the context of electrical engineering?
clearly, by setting R cos(x) to be equivalent to R exp(ix) is just a way to simplify computation/algebraic manipulation, it is probably understood that what is important about the use of R exp(ix) is not the actual function itself, but the information carried by R and x.

Well it's not actually in the context of electrical engineering, but I see what you're getting at. That would make sense to me were this notation not used to perform calculations and derive formulae, but it is.

The picture I have uploaded might be a more succint summing up of my objection to such manipulation, if someone could enlighten me on it?

Attachments

• howdoiequationed.JPG
    howdoiequationed.JPG
    9.4 KB · Views: 610
you can still probably use the complex notation to derive some formulae if you treat Real and Imaginary part carefully. Basically, knowing what's your limit in the complex notation (without abusing it :smile:)
the example you showed should probably look like this
[tex]x = A \cos \theta = Re(Ae^{i \theta})[/tex]
[tex]x^2 = (Re(Ae^{i \theta}))^2 = A^2 \cos^2 \theta[/tex]

as you would know.

Example 2:

[tex](e^{i\theta})^2 = e^{2i\theta} = \cos 2\theta + i \sin 2\theta[/tex]
also
[tex](e^{i\theta})^2 = (\cos \theta + i \sin \theta)^2
= (\cos^2 \theta - \sin^2\theta) + i (2 \sin\theta\cos\theta) [/tex]

this gives you two relationships for double angle (re and I am part)
[tex]\cos 2\theta = \cos^2 \theta - \sin^2\theta[/tex]
[tex]\sin 2\theta = 2 \sin\theta\cos\theta[/tex]

you probably know these too.

I'm not convinced that one of my lecturers isn't abusing the notation in his derivations...

Nevertheless, your help is most appreciated.

That notation can certainly lead to misconceptions.
The complex notation is used since exponentials are more easily manipulated than sines.
Writing [tex]cos( \omega t) = exp(i \omega t)[/tex]
Is just horrifying (and plain wrong). The notation is supposed to make things easier, not more difficult.

Just distinguish carefully between the real signal [tex]y(t)=Acos(\omega t +\phi)[/tex]
and the complex signal derived from that:
[tex]\tilde y(t)=Ae^{i\phi}e^{i\omega t}=\tilde A e^{i\omega t}[/tex],
at least in the beginning until you've become comfortable working with complex signals only.

As you can see, the phase constant is now absorbed in the complex amplitude.
Then establish the relation between the real and the complex signal:
[tex]y(t)=\Re{\tilde y(t)}[/tex]
[tex]A=|\tilde y(t)|[/tex]
[tex]\omega t+\phi =\arctan{\Im{\tilde y(t)}/\Re{\tilde y(t)}}[/tex]

Adding two signals (waves) of the same frequency is now easy:
[tex]\tilde y_1(t)+\tilde y_2(t)=(\tilde A_1+\tilde A_2)e^{i\omega t}[/tex]
So you get a wave with the same frequency and to get the complex amplitude of you just add the complex amplitudes of the other two waves. The real amplitude of the new wave is then [tex]|\tilde A_1+\tilde A_2|[/tex]. That's easier than using trig identities.

However it does go wrong when you multiply two waves, for instance when you wish to compute the energy in a wave. Don't use the complex representation for that, for the same reasons you mentioned.

Last edited:

1. What is a complex number and how is it related to representing a wave?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real and imaginary component. In terms of representing a wave, the real component represents the amplitude of the wave, while the imaginary component represents the phase of the wave.

2. Why is it useful to represent a wave as a complex number?

Representing a wave as a complex number allows for a more concise and efficient way to describe the behavior of a wave. It also allows for mathematical operations, such as addition and multiplication, to be performed on waves.

3. How is a complex number graphically represented in relation to a wave?

A complex number can be graphically represented on a 2-dimensional plane, with the real component being the x-axis and the imaginary component being the y-axis. The magnitude of the complex number is represented by the distance from the origin, and the angle of the complex number is represented by the direction from the origin.

4. Can all types of waves be represented as complex numbers?

Yes, all types of waves can be represented as complex numbers. This includes electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and even quantum waves.

5. How does representing a wave as a complex number affect the analysis and understanding of the wave?

Representing a wave as a complex number allows for a deeper understanding of the wave's behavior, as it allows for more complex mathematical operations to be performed. It also allows for the use of complex analysis techniques, which can provide insights into the wave's properties and behavior.