Entropy & Gasoline HW: Answer & Explanation

In summary: You did a good job of keeping your work neat and organized.In summary, Premium gasoline produces 1.23×108 J of heat per gallon when it is burned at a temperature of approximately 400ºC, with an efficiency of 25%. Three-fourths of that heat is expelled into the air at a temperature of 20.0ºC. When a car gets 35.0 miles per gallon of gas, the car's engine changes the entropy of the world by 3774 J/K when it drives 1.00 mile. This results in an increase in the entropy of the world.
Art_Vandelay

Homework Statement

Premium gasoline produces 1.23×108 J of heat per gallon when it is burned at a temperature of approximately 400ºC (although the amount can vary with the fuel mixture). If the car's engine is 25.0% efficient, three-fourths of that heat is expelled into the air, typically at 20.0ºC.

a) If your car gets 35.0 miles per gallon of gas, by how much does the car's engine change the entropy of the world when you drive 1.00 mile?

b) Does it decrease or increase the entropy of the world?

Homework Equations

ΔS = ΔSHOT + ΔSCOLD

The Attempt at a Solution

a) ΔS = ΔSHOT + ΔSCOLD
ΔS = -((.75*(1.23*108 J/gal)*(1 gal/35 mile)*(1 mile))/(400+273 K) + ((.75*(1.23*108 J/gal)*(1 gal/35 mile)*(1 mile))/(20+273 K)
ΔS = -3916 J/K + 8996 J/K
ΔS = 5079 J/K

b) Entropy increases (positive value for part a)

Would both ΔSHOT and ΔSCOLD be multiplied by .75, or would one be multiplied by the .25 efficiency?

Physics news on Phys.org
Art_Vandelay said:

ΔS = ΔSHOT + ΔSCOLD

correct

The Attempt at a Solution

a) ΔS = ΔSHOT + ΔSCOLD
ΔS = -((.75*(1.23*108 J/gal)*(1 gal/35 mile)*(1 mile))/(400+273 K) + ((.75*(1.23*108 J/gal)*(1 gal/35 mile)*(1 mile))/(20+273 K)
ΔS = -3916 J/K + 8996 J/K
ΔS = 5079 J/K

Would both ΔSHOT and ΔSCOLD be multiplied by .75, or would one be multiplied by the .25 efficiency?

Answer is incorrect.

What is the heat going into the engine and its temperature? What is the heat leaving the engine and its temperature?

Neither gets multiplied by 0.25.

rude man said:
correct

Answer is incorrect.

What is the heat going into the engine and its temperature? What is the heat leaving the engine and its temperature?

Neither gets multiplied by 0.25.
The heat going into the engine is 293 K and the heat leaving the engine is 673 K, so if I just multiply both by .75 (like in my attempt), will that give me the correct answer?

a) ΔS = ΔSHOT + ΔSCOLD
ΔS = ((.75*(1.23*108 J/gal)*(1 gal/35 mile)*(1 mile))/(400+273 K) - ((.75*(1.23*108 J/gal)*(1 gal/35 mile)*(1 mile))/(20+273 K)
ΔS = 3916 J/K - 8996 J/K
ΔS = -5079 J/K

So the entropy of the world decreases?

Last edited:
Art_Vandelay said:
The heat going into the engine is 293 K and the heat leaving the engine is 673 K, so if I just multiply both by .75 (like in my attempt), then switch the minus sign, will that give me the correct answer?

a) ΔS = ΔSHOT + ΔSCOLD
ΔS = ((.75*(1.23*108 J/gal)*(1 gal/35 mile)*(1 mile))/(400+273 K) - ((.75*(1.23*108 J/gal)*(1 gal/35 mile)*(1 mile))/(20+273 K)
ΔS = 3916 J/K - 8996 J/K
ΔS = -5079 J/K

So the entropy of the world decreases?

Why are you multiplying the heat going into the engine by 0.75? Isn't all of the heat going into the engine? Whereas, isn't some of the heat that went into the engine not going out of the engine but changed into work instead?

Oh, and I just now noticed: you have ΔS of the hot side positive and ΔS of the cold side negative. How come that?

Last edited:
Sorry, by mistake I have added.

Last edited:
rude man said:
Why are you multiplying the heat going into the engine by 0.75? Isn't all of the heat going into the engine? Whereas, isn't some of the heat that went into the engine not going out of the engine but changed into work instead?

Oh, and I just now noticed: you have ΔS of the hot side positive and ΔS of the cold side negative. How come that?

Oh! So, only ΔSCOLD should include .75! I switched back the signs as I had them before--I accidentally mixed them up.

ΔS = ΔSHOT + ΔSCOLD
ΔS = -((1.23*108 J/gal)*(1 gal/35 mile)*(1 mile))/(400+273 K) + ((.75*(1.23*108 J/gal)*(1 gal/35 mile)*(1 mile))/(20+273 K)
ΔS = -5221 J/K + 8996 J/K
ΔS = 3774 J/K

That's a lot better! Everything correct now.

Likes 1 person

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. It is a thermodynamic property that describes the amount of energy that is unavailable for work in a system.

2. How does entropy relate to gasoline?

Gasoline is a highly ordered form of energy, with molecules arranged in a specific way. When gasoline is burned, it becomes more disordered and the entropy of the system increases.

3. Why is gasoline a high-entropy form of energy?

Gasoline contains a large amount of potential energy in its chemical bonds, which can be released through combustion. This release of energy results in an increase in disorder, or entropy, within the system.

4. How does the efficiency of an engine relate to entropy?

The efficiency of an engine is closely related to the amount of energy that is lost as heat. As the entropy of the system increases, the amount of energy that is unavailable for work also increases, resulting in a decrease in engine efficiency.

5. Can entropy be reversed?

While it is possible to decrease entropy in a small part of a system, the overall entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This is known as the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of an isolated system will never decrease.