How Do You Calculate the Initial Separation Between Two Charged Particles?

• Thread starter udontai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary, the problem involves two particles with different masses and the same charge initially held in place and then released. Using the conservation of momentum and electrostatic potential energy equations, the initial separation between the particles can be determined when the separation between them is 0.100 m and the speed of one particle is given. The equation should be written as kq^2/r^2 = kq^2/d^2 + 1/2m1*(V1)^2 + 1/2m2*(V2)^2, taking into account the different velocities of the two particles. The electrostatic potential energy can be calculated using the equation E.P.E = qV.
udontai

Homework Statement

One particle has a mass of 3.00 10-3 kg and a charge of +8.00 µC. A second particle has a mass of 6.00 10-3 kg and the same charge. The two particles are initially held in place and then released. The particles fly apart, and when the separation between them is 0.100 m, the speed of the 3.00 10-3 kg particle is 120 m/s. Find the initial separation between the particles.

Homework Equations

let the initial separation as r and final separation as d.
kq^2/r^2 = kq^2/d^2 + 1/2m1*V^2 + 1/2m2*V^2
is the the way to solve it? how can i determine the final velocity for the 6x10^-3 particle?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Are their any external forces acting on the system comprising the two charges ?

Nope.

What is conserved if there are no external forces acting on the system ?

momentum?

Yes . Use Conservation of Momentum.

udontai said:
let the initial separation as r and final separation as d.
is the the way to solve it? how can i determine the final velocity for the 6x10^-3 particle?
The way you wrote the equation, you can solve it, but you'll get the wrong answer. Is the velocity for particle 1 the same as the velocity for particle 2? No. So why are you using the same variable, V, to represent those two quantities?

If you write the equation properly, you have one equations and two unknowns. You need a second equation if you hope to find specific values of each unknown.

(3.00 10-3 )x 0 + (6.00 10-3 ) x 0 = (3.00 10-3) x 120 - (6.00 10-3 ) x V
i this correct?

Tanya Sharma said:
Yes . Use Conservation of Momentum.

i this correct?

udontai said:
i this correct?

Correct .

udontai said:

There is another problem with this equation apart from what Vela has pointed .

What do these terms represent ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Correct .

There is another problem with this equation apart from what Vela has pointed .

What do these terms represent ?

as i stated r = initial distance and d= final distance.

udontai said:
as i stated r = initial distance and d= final distance.

Did I ask what r and d represent ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Did I ask what r and d represent ?

i saw the r and d is highlighted from my computer screen so i thought you asked about it. lol my bad sorry

But you still haven't answered my question in post#10 .

Tanya Sharma said:
But you still haven't answered my question in post#10 .

so instead of kq^2/r^2 = kq^2/d^2 + 1/2m1*V^2 + 1/2m2*V^2.
it should be kq^2/r^2 = kq^2/d^2 + 1/2m1*(V1)^2 + 1/2m2*(V2)^2 as the velocity is different.
right?

No . Sorry but you are not answering the question . I have explicitly remarked that there is another problem with the equation apart from what Vela has pointed .

Please explain what do terms I marked in red in post#10 represent ?

kq^2/r2 represent the electrostatic force between the two charges

udontai said:
kq^2/r2 represent the electrostatic force between the two charges

This is wrong .

How can you have force in conservation of energy equation ?

Instead of electrostatic force you need to have electrostatic potential energy of the two charges .

Tanya Sharma said:
This is wrong .

How can you have force in conservation of energy equation ?

Instead of electrostatic force you need to have electrostatic potential energy of the two charges .

V = kq/r ?

udontai said:
V = kq/r ?

No .

Please look up in your notes or book or on the web .

E.P.E =qV

1. How can I solve an electricity problem at home?

Firstly, ensure that you have identified the source of the problem. It could be a blown fuse, a tripped circuit breaker, or a faulty appliance. Once identified, you can reset the circuit breaker or replace the fuse. If the problem persists, it is best to call a licensed electrician for assistance.

2. What should I do if my lights keep flickering?

Flickering lights could be a sign of a loose connection or a faulty light fixture. You can check the connections and tighten them if necessary. If the flickering continues, it is best to call a professional electrician to inspect and fix the issue.

3. Why is my outlet not working?

An outlet may stop working due to various reasons such as a tripped circuit breaker, a blown fuse, or a faulty outlet. You can try resetting the circuit breaker or replacing the fuse. If the outlet is still not working, it may need to be replaced by a professional electrician.

4. How can I prevent electrical hazards at home?

To prevent electrical hazards, it is important to regularly check and maintain all electrical appliances and wiring in your home. Make sure to use proper extension cords and avoid overloading outlets. If you notice any signs of electrical issues, such as sparks or burning smells, turn off the power and call a professional electrician immediately.

5. What should I do in case of a power outage?

If you experience a power outage, first check if it is only affecting your home or the entire neighborhood. If it is a widespread outage, contact your local electricity provider for updates. If it is just your home, check the circuit breaker and fuse box to see if the issue can be resolved. If not, call a licensed electrician for assistance.