Velocity of a particle kicked into four point charge square

In summary, the problem asks to find the initial speed of a particle with charge q, mass m, and initial speed v that is released and ends up at the center of a square arrangement of charges with side length d. Using the equations U = kq1q2/r and KE = 1/2mv^2, the initial and final electric potentials are found at the corner and center of the square, respectively. By conserving energy, the initial kinetic energy is equal to the final potential energy, and the initial speed can be expressed in terms of q, d, m, and appropriate constants.
jlmccart03

Homework Statement

Consider the arrangment of charges (fixed in place) shown in the figure. The square has side length d. (Figure 1)

Now suppose the particle with charge q is released. It is "kicked" so that it's initial speed is v. After an unspecified trajectory, it is observed that the particle ends up at the center of the original square and is momentarily at rest. If the mass of this particle is m, what was its initial speed v?
Express your answer in terms of q, d, m, and appropriate constants. Use k instead of 14πϵ0. The numeric coefficient should be a decimal with three significant figures.

Homework Equations

U = kq1q2/r
KE = 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know I have to find the initial and final U of each total charge on a charge q. The problem is how does one do that besides doing kQ1q2/d + kQ3q4/d...etc? I would just add all of the contributions right? The little q would stay little q, but big Q would be the charge of each of the four point charges. Then I have to find final Potential Energy, but what would that even be? 0? Then I know that I have to use kinetic energy since I have to use the law of conservation of energy. I am confused on what I need to do from here since I can't figure out the potential energies. I know I will have this in the end KEi + Ui = KEf + Uf where KEf is zero. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 8.50.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 8.50.06 AM.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,108
Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to do this problem is
1. Pretend that the charge q that is kicked is not there.
2. Find the electric potential Vi at the corner where the charge is.
3. Find the electric potential Vf at the center of the square where the charge ends up.
4. Conserve energy where PEi = q Vi and PEf = q Vf, KEi = ½mv2 and KEf = 0.

1. What is the velocity of a particle kicked into a four point charge square?

The velocity of a particle kicked into a four point charge square depends on the initial velocity of the particle and the strength and distribution of the four point charges.

2. How is the velocity of a particle affected by the four point charges in a square?

The velocity of a particle is affected by the four point charges in a square through the electric force exerted on the particle by each individual charge. The direction and magnitude of the electric force can change the velocity of the particle.

3. Can the velocity of a particle kicked into a four point charge square change over time?

Yes, the velocity of a particle kicked into a four point charge square can change over time due to the changing electric forces exerted by the four point charges as the particle moves.

4. Is there a formula for calculating the velocity of a particle in a four point charge square?

Yes, the formula for calculating the velocity of a particle in a four point charge square involves the initial velocity of the particle, the electric force exerted by each of the four charges, and the mass of the particle. It is also important to consider the geometry and arrangement of the four point charges in the square.

5. How does the velocity of a particle in a four point charge square relate to its kinetic energy?

The velocity of a particle in a four point charge square is directly related to its kinetic energy. As the velocity of the particle changes due to the electric forces, its kinetic energy will also change. The greater the velocity, the greater the kinetic energy of the particle.