Complex Numbers Inequality: Solving |z-2i| < |z+ i| in the Argand Diagram

In summary, the equation |z-2i| < |z+ i| describes the region in the complex plane that is closer to the point 2i than to the point -i. This can be visualized as the set of points that lie on the curve equidistant from 2i and -i, but are closer to 2i. This region can be found using the Argand diagram and understanding the concept of distance between complex numbers.
zeromaxxx

Homework Statement

Determine the region in the complex plane described by |z-2i| < |z+ i|

Homework Equations

z= x+ iy
|z|= (x2 + y2)1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

|z-2i| < |z+ i|

|z-2i|/|z+ i| < 1

|z-2i| = [(x-2i)2 + y2]1/2
|z+ i| = [(x+i)2 + y2]1/2

[(x-2i)2 + y2]1/2
--------------- < 1
[(x+i)2 + y2]1/2

[(x-2i)2 + y2]1/2*[(x+i)2 - y2]1/2
---------------------------------- < 1
[(x+i)2 + y2]1/2*[(x+i)2 - y2]1/2

Am I on the right track of solving this so far? If so how do I proceed to the next step? If not what part did I do wrong? Any feedback is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
zeromaxxx said:

Homework Statement

Determine the region in the complex plane described by |z-2i| < |z+ i|

Homework Equations

z= x+ iy
|z|= (x2 + y2)1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

|z-2i| < |z+ i|

|z-2i|/|z+ i| < 1

|z-2i| = [(x-2i)2 + y2]1/2
|z+ i| = [(x+i)2 + y2]1/2

[(x-2i)2 + y2]1/2
--------------- < 1
[(x+i)2 + y2]1/2

[(x-2i)2 + y2]1/2*[(x+i)2 - y2]1/2
---------------------------------- < 1
[(x+i)2 + y2]1/2*[(x+i)2 - y2]1/2

Am I on the right track of solving this so far? If so how do I proceed to the next step? If not what part did I do wrong? Any feedback is appreciated!

|z-i2|^2 is NOT (x-2i)^2 + y^2. Think about why not.

RGV

Trying to compute the inequality in Cartesian coordinates is an efficient way to make yourself crazy.

It may be more helpful to use a geometrical interpretation of the equation first in the Argand diagram. Keep in mind that | z - z0 | is the "length" of a vector from the point representing z0 to the point representing z . The equation | z - 2i | = | z + i | then describes the curve in the Argand diagram of points equidistant from 2i and -i . What is that curve like? The inequality then represents the set of points closer to 2i than to -i . Where is that region?

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and imaginary part. They are represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the imaginary unit.

2. How do you solve complex number inequalities?

To solve complex number inequalities, you need to first treat the inequality as a regular algebraic inequality. Then, you can solve for the real and imaginary parts separately, and combine the solutions to get the final answer.

3. What is the difference between a complex number inequality and a regular inequality?

A complex number inequality involves both real and imaginary numbers, while a regular inequality only involves real numbers. Complex number inequalities also have different rules for solving and graphing compared to regular inequalities.

4. How do you graph complex number inequalities?

To graph a complex number inequality, you need to plot the solutions on the complex plane, where the horizontal axis represents the real numbers and the vertical axis represents the imaginary numbers. The solution set will be a shaded region on the complex plane.

5. Why are complex number inequalities important in mathematics?

Complex number inequalities are important in mathematics because they help us solve problems involving both real and imaginary quantities. They are also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze complex systems.