Finding inflection points

• Thread starter ssb
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the easiest way to find inflection points for many differential equations is to use the differential equation itself. This involves computing y'' by differentiating y' and substituting for y'. Solving for y can produce inflection points, but keep in mind that it can also produce equilibrium solutions which may not be inflection points. Applying this technique to the given differential equation results in an inflection point of y=L/2.
ssb

Homework Statement

For many differential equations, the easiest way to find inflection points is to use the differential equation rather than the solution itself. To do this, we can compute [tex]y''[/tex] by differentiating [tex]y'[/tex], remembering to use the chain rule wherever [tex]y[/tex] occurs. Next, we can substitute for [tex]y'[/tex] by using the differential equation and setting [tex]y' = 0[/tex]. Then we can solve for [tex]y[/tex] to find the inflection points. (Keep in mind here that solving for [tex]y[/tex] can also produce some equilibrium solutions, which may not be inflection points!)

Use the technique described above to find the inflection point for the solutions of the differential equation

[tex]y'=r(1-\frac{y}{L})y[/tex]

your answer may contain [tex]L[/tex] and [tex]r[/tex]

[tex]y = ?[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I differentiated the given equation and set it equal to zero, then I solved it for y. My answer was Lr/4 but this is wrong according to webworks.

The equation I got when I differentiated [tex]y'=r(1-\frac{y}{L})y[/tex] was [tex]y'' = r-((4y)/L)[/tex]

i know the answer is [tex]L/2[/tex] but I don't know how to get there.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
y' = ry(1 - y/L)
distribute ...
y' = ry - ry2/L
differentiate ...
y" = r - 2ry/L
set y" = 0 ...
r - 2ry/L = 0
r(1 - 2y/L) = 0
1 = 2y/L
y = L/2

1. What is an inflection point?

An inflection point is a point on a curve where the direction of the curve changes. This means that the slope of the curve goes from increasing to decreasing, or vice versa.

2. How are inflection points calculated?

Inflection points can be calculated by finding the second derivative of a function and setting it equal to zero. The x-values that satisfy this equation are the inflection points.

3. Why are inflection points important?

Inflection points are important because they can indicate a change in the behavior or trend of a function. They can also help identify maximum and minimum points on a curve.

4. How can inflection points be used in real life?

Inflection points can be used in real life to analyze trends and patterns in data. For example, in finance, inflection points can be used to identify changes in market trends and make investment decisions.

5. Can inflection points occur in other shapes besides curves?

Yes, inflection points can occur in other shapes besides curves. They can also occur in linear and polynomial functions, as long as the second derivative is equal to zero at a certain point.