Horizontal inflection point of a parametric polynomial function

In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions for ##x=-1## to be a horizontal inflection point, which requires the first derivative to be zero at that point. The second derivative should also be zero, but the confusion arises because it is a horizontal inflection point. After checking the calculations, it is determined that the correct result for ##b## should be 2, not 0.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Given ##y=ax^3+bx^2+2x-3##, find the values of ##a## and ##b## for which the function has an horizontal inflection point at ##x=-1##.
Relevant Equations
none
For ##x=-1## to be an *horizontal* inflection point, the first derivative ##y'## in ##-1## must be zero; and this gives the first condition: ##a=\frac{2}{3}b##.

Now, I believe I should "use" the second derivative to obtain the second condition to solve the two-variables-system, but how?
Since it is an inflection point, shouldn't even the second derivative be zero? But the fact that it's an horizontal one is confusing me.

Physics news on Phys.org
greg_rack said:
For ##x=-1## to be an *horizontal* inflection point, the first derivative ##y'## in ##-1## must be zero; and this gives the first condition: ##a=\frac{2}{3}b##.
Check this :wink:
greg_rack said:
Since it is an inflection point, shouldn't even the second derivative be zero?
Your thinking is correct!

etotheipi said:
Your thinking is correct!
But then, why does ##y''(-1)=0 \rightarrow b=0##, if the correct result should be ##b=2##?

greg_rack said:
But then, why does ##y''(-1)=0 \rightarrow b=0##, if the correct result should be ##b=2##?

I think you made an error in working out the second derivative. Shouldn't it be, ##y'(-1) = 3a(-1)^2 + 2b(-1) + 2 = 3a - 2b + 2 \overset{!}{=} 0 \implies 3a = 2b -2##, and then ##y''(-1) = 6a(-1) + 2b \overset{!}{=} 0 \implies 3a = b##?

Likes greg_rack
etotheipi said:
I think you made an error in working out the second derivative. Shouldn't it be, ##y'(-1) = 3a(-1)^2 + 2b(-1) + 2 = 3a - 2b + 2 \overset{!}{=} 0 \implies 3a = 2b -2##, and then ##y''(-1) = 6a(-1) + 2b \overset{!}{=} 0 \implies 3a = b##?
Yupp, here's the deal... silly me!
Thanks a lot :)

Likes etotheipi
greg_rack said:
Yupp, here's the deal... silly me!
Thanks a lot :)

Don't worry, I do stuff like that all the time :smile:

• Haha
Likes greg_rack

1. What is a horizontal inflection point of a parametric polynomial function?

A horizontal inflection point of a parametric polynomial function is a point on the graph where the function changes from concave up to concave down, or vice versa. This means that the slope of the tangent line at that point changes from positive to negative, or vice versa.

2. How is a horizontal inflection point different from a vertical inflection point?

A horizontal inflection point is where the concavity of the graph changes, while a vertical inflection point is where the slope of the graph changes. In other words, a horizontal inflection point is where the curve changes from being "smiling" to "frowning" or vice versa, while a vertical inflection point is where the curve changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa.

3. How do you find the horizontal inflection points of a parametric polynomial function?

To find the horizontal inflection points of a parametric polynomial function, you can take the second derivative of the function with respect to the independent variable. The points where the second derivative is equal to zero or undefined are the horizontal inflection points.

4. Can a parametric polynomial function have more than one horizontal inflection point?

Yes, a parametric polynomial function can have multiple horizontal inflection points. The number of horizontal inflection points depends on the degree of the polynomial function. A polynomial function of degree n can have at most n-2 horizontal inflection points.

5. How are horizontal inflection points useful in analyzing a parametric polynomial function?

Horizontal inflection points can provide valuable information about the behavior of a parametric polynomial function. They can help determine the maximum and minimum values of the function, as well as the direction of the curve. They can also be used to identify critical points and make predictions about the behavior of the function in different regions of the graph.