Biomedical Engineering: The Truth About Underpaid Engineers

In summary, while it may be true that BMEs make less money than their EE and CE counterparts, this may not be a bad thing if you enjoy the field. However, if you are not content with making less money, then it may be worth considering other options.
budala
why Biomedical engineers are underpaid (the lowest) comparing to
the other engs like; EE, CE, ME?

also, why are biomed engs "thrown" generally speaking with a lower level
personnel like; biomed techs and/or technologists , although
they graduated from an engineering programs like any other programs; EE, CE, etc?

*****biomeds are considered "lower level" engs?

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to show us some stats on this. I wasn't under the impression that BME's were underpaid vs. their counterparts in other disciplines, or that they were considered to be at a somewhat lower level. (And anyone who holds such a view obviously hasn't taken any BME imaging courses.)

Also, there's a distinct difference between a technician/technologist and an engineer.

According to US News, Biomedical Engineering is the fastest growing of the engineering disciplines. I don't think this would be true if biomed types were "underpaid."

i am in EE and i work with biomed techs and engs during summer.
i did take biomed courses,
i know there is a distinct difference between techs and engs,
i know it's fast growing discipline,
i did see paychecks of techs and biomed engs, and i did see paychecks
of EEs and some of biomed engs are very pissed off, sorry to say it
but we talk about it ll the time,

***** i am in a very difficult situation; shoukd i choose Biomedical engineering or?

In order to become a well paid BE, I think you really need to have the education and experience. PhD along with some post doc experience. Just a BS or MS isn't going to get you that far.

Looking at a few paychecks amounts to anecdotal evidence. However, here are some hard facts:

From salary.com
Median salaries (USD 25th 50th 75th percentile)
level 1 biomedical engineer : $41,898 $48,461 $53,309
level 1 electrical engineer : $52,011 $56,831 $61,890
level 1 chemical engineer : $53,165 $58,670 $63,347
level 1 mechanical engineer: $52,583 $57,844 $62,537

So, yes, it seems that BMEs can expect to make significantly less money on entry into their field. The question then, is whether or not you will be happy working in this field. Is getting an extra $10k a year worth working in a field you don't enjoy?

budala said:
why Biomedical engineers are underpaid (the lowest) comparing to
the other engs like; EE, CE, ME?

also, why are biomed engs "thrown" generally speaking with a lower level
personnel like; biomed techs and/or technologists , although
they graduated from an engineering programs like any other programs; EE, CE, etc?

*****biomeds are considered "lower level" engs?
BME is still a very graduate-heavy dicipline. So if you want to do anything reasonable you should expect to need a MS or PhD. If you only want to get a BS, then I would recommend against BME. Instead, go for a more traditional engineering major and take physiology- and medicine-related electives.

IMO, the reason for the income disparity is simply that a BME is more narrowly qualified in the job marked. For example, a medical device manufacturer could hire a EE or a BME, but an electronics manufacturer would only hire the EE. So the medical device manufacturer and the electronics manufacturer are competing for the EE but not for the BME.

Last edited:
cmos said:
According to US News, Biomedical Engineering is the fastest growing of the engineering disciplines. I don't think this would be true if biomed types were "underpaid."

Now that I think about it, I think I read this while looking at their annual graduate school rankings. This seems to back up what some people have been saying about almost being necessary to go on to grad school if you want to do biomed.

1. What is biomedical engineering?

Biomedical engineering is a field of study that combines principles of engineering, biology, and medicine to develop solutions and advancements in healthcare. It focuses on using engineering techniques and technologies to improve diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of diseases.

2. What are some examples of biomedical engineering?

Some examples of biomedical engineering include designing and creating medical devices such as artificial organs, prosthetics, and diagnostic equipment. It also involves developing new technologies for drug delivery, tissue engineering, and medical imaging.

3. What skills are needed to become a biomedical engineer?

To become a biomedical engineer, one needs a strong foundation in math, physics, and biology. Additionally, skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and attention to detail are essential. Knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software and programming languages are also beneficial.

4. What are the career opportunities in biomedical engineering?

There are various career opportunities in biomedical engineering, including research and development, product design and testing, medical device manufacturing, and regulatory affairs. Biomedical engineers can also work in hospitals, healthcare facilities, and government agencies.

5. What are the ethical considerations in biomedical engineering?

Biomedical engineering involves working with human subjects and developing technologies that could affect people's lives. Therefore, ethical considerations are crucial in this field. Biomedical engineers must adhere to ethical principles and guidelines to ensure the safety, privacy, and well-being of patients and participants in research studies.