Using an angle and time to find Acceleration

In summary, Jean measures the angle of a string attached to her watch as the jetliner she is in accelerates for takeoff. Using the formula Fnet=ma, she calculates the takeoff speed of the aircraft to be approximately 60 m/s or 135 mph.
swede5670

Homework Statement

Jean, who likes physics experiments, dangles her watch from a thin piece of string while the jetliner she is in takes off from Dulles Airport. She notices that the string makes an angle of 21° with respect to the vertical while the aircraft accelerates for takeoff, which takes about 16 seconds. Estimate the takeoff speed of the aircraft.

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

In my class we've just been these problems with 2 variables and I'm confused about finding the first part of the problem so that I can do the later half. I know that since I have time I'm trying to find acceleration or velocity but I don't know where to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
swede5670 said:

Homework Statement

Jean, who likes physics experiments, dangles her watch from a thin piece of string while the jetliner she is in takes off from Dulles Airport. She notices that the string makes an angle of 21° with respect to the vertical while the aircraft accelerates for takeoff, which takes about 16 seconds. Estimate the takeoff speed of the aircraft.

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

In my class we've just been these problems with 2 variables and I'm confused about finding the first part of the problem so that I can do the later half. I know that since I have time I'm trying to find acceleration or velocity but I don't know where to begin.

Acceleration can be treated as a vector like velocity.

In your dangling case then there are 2 components. 1) the vertical acceleration of gravity. And 2) the horizontal acceleration moving the watch at an angle.

If you know what the vertical component is (g), and you know the angle 21°, then I trust you know enough geometry to figure out what the horizontal acceleration is and then using acceleration and time to figure out what speed it accelerated to in 16 seconds.

So when I use acceleration as a vector does g just equal the acceleration of gravity or 9.81?
In that case I'm going to first solve for cosine like this:
9.81/X = Cosine (21)
9.81/Cosine(21) = -17.910 m/s/s
Should I have a negative here?

If that is correct then my acceleration is -17.910 m/s^2
Do i convert this to a velocity by multiplying by the 16 seconds? So my speed is 286 m/s?
I just submitted this online and evidently that's wrong. What did I do wrong?

swede5670 said:
So when I use acceleration as a vector does g just equal the acceleration of gravity or 9.81?
In that case I'm going to first solve for cosine like this:
9.81/X = Cosine (21)
9.81/Cosine(21) = -17.910 m/s/s
Should I have a negative here?

First of all you want to use degrees °, not radians. There goes your negative number.

Second of all you might want to use Tangent 21°
because if you draw things out you will see that a/g = tan21° => a = tan 21° * g

Alright so tan (21) * 9.81 = 3.7657 m/s^2
then multiply by 16 to get my velocity?

swede5670 said:
Alright so tan (21) * 9.81 = 3.7657 m/s^2
then multiply by 16 to get my velocity?

Looks about right.

That comes to something like 60m/s or roughly 135 mph.

1. What is the formula for finding acceleration using an angle and time?

The formula for finding acceleration using an angle and time is a = g * tan(θ), where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle.

2. How do you measure the angle and time in order to find acceleration?

The angle can be measured using a protractor or inclinometer, while the time can be measured using a stopwatch or timer. Both measurements should be taken simultaneously, with the object in motion.

3. Can this method be used for any type of motion?

Yes, this method can be used for any type of motion as long as the object's acceleration is due to gravity. It is commonly used for objects in free fall or on an inclined plane.

4. What are the units of measurement for acceleration when using this method?

The units of measurement for acceleration when using this method are meters per second squared (m/s²). This is the standard unit for acceleration in the International System of Units (SI).

5. Are there any limitations to using an angle and time to find acceleration?

One limitation is that this method only works for objects with a constant acceleration due to gravity. It also assumes that there are no other external forces acting on the object. Additionally, accurate measurements of the angle and time are crucial for obtaining an accurate value for acceleration.